Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

King Floyds "Groove me Baby"

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by bassmonkey144, Nov 16, 2004.

1. does anybody have a tab, or sheet music of this song? good song, havent been able to find any kind of music for it. thanks guys.

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Most of the song is based round a repeating two-bar riff. Lovejones play the song in B (I'm not sure if the chords over the top are major or minor but the riff is a simple major pentatonic pattern):
    Code:
    D|----------------|-----------6---9-|-
    A|-----------6----|---9-------------|-
    E|-7-7-r---r---r--|-r---r---r---r---|-
       e e q   e e q    e e q   e e e e 
    I play it up in that position for the fatter sound. When the root note moves to F#, I drop down to play the same pattern on the B string. There's also another little tag at the end of each verse, but that's enough to make sure you and I are talking about the same song :D

Wulf

ps. "r" means rest (this song is all about the gaps) and the last line of the tab shows note / rest duration as (e)ighth or (q)uaver.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
  4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Have you got the book, Brian? I'd be interested to know how my transcription of the riff matches what's in the book!

Wulf

5. Scooperman

Scooperman

May 28, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
  6. yea, but Duck Dunn covered it in a blues brothers album, i believe. Briefcase Full of Blues, if i remember right.

7. Scooperman

Scooperman

May 28, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    That's what I thought.

I'm not familiar with the Blues Brothers' version, but the original King Floyd version is unbelievably grooving. It's the same rythmn section that recorded "Mr. Big Stuff" at Malaco Studios.

Here's an article from Mix Magazine (the trade journal of recording studios) on the recording session where Groove Me was originally recorded.

http://mixonline.com/recording/interviews/audio_king_floyds_groove/

According to the producer of the track, it was recorded in one take. (!?!!)

8. yea, Duck Dunn's version is pretty groovin too. kind of a more punchy sound. jeebus, recorded in one take? thats awesome. :D