Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

King (HN White) #2734 project bass- pictures 1

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by minguslives, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Hello all,
    I've been playing upright for the past 5 months. Initially I had a rental Eastman bass from the local music store, which IMO was quite flat sounding. I gave it back a month ago since I didn't have the time to take lessons any more. I bought this project bass from a seller in Indiana in March 05. I was revitalized by the ISB convention recently (I live in Kalamazoo), and decided that I would have my bass restored, probably from Guarneri House in Grand Rapids. Here are pictures- there are chipped edges, and I know it's probably an extensive project, but she looks beautiful to me even now- so can't wait to see how she'll look all dressed up and purty. I'm debating between a reddish brown oil based stain and a natural finish, like the recent La Scala pictures. Any opinions would be welcome. There are many pics, so there will be many posts

Attached Files:

2. More pics- BTW, I wonder if the La Scala is based on this King design- Any guesses?

Attached Files:

3. more

Attached Files:

4. To clarify, the wood does have a slight orange/pink tinge. But my camera is adding some extra orange to it!! :eyebrow:

Attached Files:

5. It is hard to see details in these photos, but my impression is that the original finish is not so bad and perhaps it just needs touch up and clean up. It's a little hard to tell. It should retain some of its' hard earned patina. It is a nice looking bass. I love the name on the back. Do you know what year it is?

Also, I think you can attach more than 2 photos per post.

6. I don't know about that, but I'm pretty sure you can have more than one post per thread. :eyebrow:

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    DYNASTYWESURVIVE - I'm digging the pictures, but there's no need to start a new thread for each new round; just reply to this one and post the next buncha pics.

8. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    From the horse's mouth--No, LaScala is not based on the King. We looked the King over carefully and decided it was not well suited to our purpose (an accessible 3/4 violin-cornered bass mainly aimed at the classical player). The main problems were the string length (43"+) and the narrowness of the body. That said, I love the old Kings and yours looks like a winner.

9. Wow- a reply from Mr Schnitzer himself!!. Thanks for clearing my doubts. You are right about the string length. In fact, when I went to pick up the bass, I had taken the case that came with the Eastman. When I saw the bass for the first time, I was shocked since it was narrow and long and I (stupidly) wondered if I had bought an oversized cello!! :confused:

Also, regarding it's age, I really don't know. But I was told in a previous post that it's probably late 40s, early 50s. Any info would be welcome :help:

10. The limit is 2 pics per post. :meh: There are only 2 slots for pictures to be attached when you're in the process of posting.

11. Tom Hutton

Tom Hutton

Nov 22, 2004
    Indiana
    Host the pictures somewhere like photobucket.com and you can have as many as you like in one post...

Good lookin' bass tho - what exactly do you plan to have done? It doesn't look too bad right now to me (see the before pics of my recent restoration...)

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Congrats on the King-I like mine a lot. It was restored by Bob Bransetter, a TB member and Kansas City Luthier. He had carved a top for it, reset the neck, made a new fingerboard out of pakkawood and shimmed it a little for lower action, made a new bridge, and set string length at about 42"...I plays great, and has a tone I like.

Keep the pics coming!

Mine says HN White on the tuners, and on the label inside, but does not have the name on the back like yours.

13. Wow! Your bass is a beauty. You did the finishing yourself? I wish I had skills of that sort!! :crying:
    Here's what I think I'm going to have (depends on the depth of my pockets really :rolleyes: ) Head to toes, here we go:

1. The scroll/ volute is broken on the left- I'm debating whether to keep it as is, to maintain the antique look, or to get a scroll graft
    2. the neck looks good to me, but the fingerboard is rosewood, and it's uneven, and probably not original- the King catalog says they had ebony fingerboards- so I will replace it
    3. The neck joint needs work and the string length may need shortening. I'm 5'9" and 43 in seems a little long to me.
    4. the inside needs to be cleaned up- i found a few cobwebs, pieces of graph paper etc!!
    5. The edges need to be repaired- or atleast stabilized, since they are chipping
    6. The bass needs overall finishing/staining. I'd like a dark stain- oil based, but would like the grain on the ribs and shoulders to stand out- kinda like the La Scala profile pictures on the New Standard Bass website.
    7. The left shouder/rib is cracked, and may need replacement
    8. It'll need an endpin
    9. It also needs a soundpost. Also, I'd like the bass bar to be examined for integrity

So you see, major work is on the charts. But I want it to look its age, with all its bumps and scratches.

14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    If you're anywhere near Brent Norton, you might consider letting him do your finishing work. He does some fab work, from really standard looking stuff:
    http://www.nortoncustoms.com/mini_galleries/J_FLAMMY.htm
    http://www.nortoncustoms.com/mini_galleries/Ultimate_Jazz_Lam.htm

to a little louder:
    http://www.nortoncustoms.com/mini_galleries/cream_soda.htm
    http://www.nortoncustoms.com/mini_galleries/root_beer_2.htm

to real crazy(not for me):
    http://www.nortoncustoms.com/mini_galleries/ROOSTER.htm
    http://www.nortoncustoms.com/mini_galleries/pimpstriper.htm

Phone: 248.703.1908 -- Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. - 6 p.m E.S.T.

Email: brent@nortoncustoms.com

Norton Customs
    275 Vester Street
    Ferndale, MI 48220

15. Hey thanks for the info. He's about 2 hours away. So now I have 2 options, him and guarneri house in grand rapids, which is 45 minutes away. Will check him out in the next couple of weeks as time is available.