King Moretone

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by idahohay, Dec 5, 2002.

1. idahohay

Nov 22, 2002
    Priest River, ID
    Is anyone familiar with this make of bass? I know someone who may be selling one from the 30's or 40's, it is blond finish with figured maple back. Any information of history or value would be appreciated. hr
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Ja. And the only two I've ever played would be more appropriately entitled, "Lesstone". But that's just me.
  3. idahohay

Nov 22, 2002
    Priest River, ID
    Chris, I must thankyou for the "King lesstone" quote. I stressed this point and was able to buy the base for 350.00 plus a German Strad copy fiddle. It needs set up, but there are no cracks and the fingerboard looks decent. Thanks again. hr
  4. It sounds like you got a real steal. The old H.N. White Kings have always been my favorite of the mass produced laminated basses. They seem in general to have much better workmanship and materials used in construction than the usual Kays and such. Take it to a good bass luthier for setup and you will have an instrument you will be proud to own.
  5. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA me if you want to resell it...
  6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Wow! Thassa deal...I gotta start shopping in your neighborhood.
  7. idahohay

Nov 22, 2002
    Priest River, ID
    I didn't make it clear that I had to give a pretty fair fiddle as part of the trade. The base will be for sale and I will try to get my e-mail and location to show.(Idaho Panhandle) A few minutes ago my searching turned up a King for auction on e-bay. It wasn't in my area and the description said 150 mile delivery radius. It will probably go too high to mess with for resale though. Mine is very similiar, different endpin, 3 digit #. I'll be watching it. Check it out and post your opinion. rh
  8. martinc

martinc Supporting Member

Buy the King!!!!

They are a very well made, good sounding plywood bass. They re-sell for more than Kays and sound a whole lot better too, so if you don't want a plywood bass you would have no problems re-selling it.
    I recall Barrie Kolstein on the 2x Bass list saying they were a well made instrument.
    Set up is the thing though......a good bridge, soundpost and the right strings on a King will provide you with a big, round, clear bass sound that I have not heard in any other plywood instrument.

Martin C
    1938 King
    1949 Kay C-1
  9. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    Just buy the bass.....
    You wont find them for that $ everyday.....
    Even if you dont want to keep it, you will seel it easily i think...
    I'll buy it for $400 without even seen it...eheheheheh

10. idahohay

Nov 22, 2002
    Priest River, ID
    The King on e-bay is currently at 1750.00 and about 5 more days to go. It needs some repairs and complete setup but sure looks good. hr
  11. A couple of months ago my Teacher/Luither sold a great 50`s King for two Thousand if I remember right. It was in great shape. I would have loved to buy it but I`m still saving for a nice Carved Bass. The guy that bought it lived in Kansas City and drove a good bit to Nashville to pick it up. From what I recall it had a nice sound. The set up on the string hight was pretty high for Bluegrass. I dont think you`ll have a problem selling it.

If the world didnt suck we would all fall off...