Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

King Mortone info

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Manndolins, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Manndolins

Manndolins

Apr 29, 2005
    Hell all, I'm a newbie here, a mandolin builder by trade but I just came into possesion of an old King 3/4 bass. It's a Mortone with engraved tuning plates, serial # 302 with intact label. Plywood all around. It's been refinished but done well. It needs a bunch of work (neck set, bass bar reglue, fingerboard reglue but looks like a fun project. Anyone out there have clue on dating this thing, what it might be worth when put back together or where to find more info. Thanks, Jon

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    King Moretones are definitely holding their value; between $1500-$3000, depending on condition. Are the tuners in good working order? Can you post some pics of this bass?

3. Manndolins

Manndolins

Apr 29, 2005
    Nick, thanks for reply. Tuners work fine, losing a little plating but work smooth. When I got the bass it was in pieces..top was half off,etc. The previous owner started a DIY repair on it and got in over his head so. Here are some photos. Jon

Attached Files:

4. Manndolins

Manndolins

Apr 29, 2005
    A couple more

Attached Files:

5. Manndolins

Manndolins

Apr 29, 2005
    Still more, looks like Brazilian rosewood fingerboard.

Attached Files:

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I play one the Bob Branstetter on this board worked on: carved a solid wood top for, new fingerboard, re-finished. I think it's a top notch instrument, at least for me. You can find more info on HN White/King at
    http://www.hnwhite.com/string page.htm
    Some really neat old advertisements there...

7. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    those tuners look good. the D tuner is sometimes broken, and they are no fun to repair. are you going to replace the fingerboard, or is there plenty of wood left?

8. Manndolins

Manndolins

Apr 29, 2005
    Thanks, Chef, for info. Nick, the finger board is in fine shape, very little wear. I'll post some photos when I get 'er done, in couple weeks (I hope).

9. Hopefully you're experienced in the use of hide glue.

10. Manndolins

Manndolins

Apr 29, 2005
    Yep, using hide glue.

11. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    Jon,

I've been compiling a list of White co. basses and their no.'s as I come across them. From the very limited info I have, I would guesstimate yours as late '30's. And I'll add yours to the list. Could I have your last name and any other info you might have on it? A PM would be fine.

Ike

12. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Manndolins...we want a progress report;)

13. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
  14. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Me too! SAved it to photchop, messed with contrast a little to bring it back, printed, and it's hanging in my music roon...next to my King!
    Thanks Ike!