Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

King or Koontz

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mark beem, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Stephen King

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Dean Koontz

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Which do you prefer and what is your favorite book by each author?

Mine:

King: The Stand / Insomnia

Koontz: Winter Moon / Tick Tock / Intensity

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    This poll is invalid!!!!

:mad:

...no "Carrot" option...

;)

:ninja:

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Stephen King. Is it true that the guy who hit him with a minivan died on Stephen King's birthday? :eek:

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Not an either/or guy here.

King- The Stand, It, Misery
    Koontz- The Watchers, Tick Tock, Hideaway.

5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ

6. THE ICE IS GONNA BREAK !!!

King.
    Dead Zone. ;)

Mike

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I've only read some 'Book of Horrors'-type short stories from Koontz, but I remember those being pretty cool stuff. Then again, King's Maximum Overdrive has AC/DC soundtrack..

Tough choice but Koontz, this time!

8. *runs over guy* "Oh my god! Are you Steven King?" "No.., I'm Dean Koontz." "Oh." *backs up on him and runs him over again.*

Man I love Family Guy.:D

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The only book I've read by Dean Koontz was "Phantoms", which, according to the author's notes, is not indicative of the rest of his work. I realize he is not necessarily a "horror" writer, per se, but the way he explained away everything at the ending annoyed me to no end.

I read "The Shining" a while ago, and that gets a big thumbs up. On a whim, I decided to read Cujo, which was good, as well as the Green Mile.

Let me tell you, the Green Mile was one of the best books (or series of books) I have read in a LONG time. King is a virtuoso storyteller.

...then I read "Pet Sematary". I can handle a lot, in movies and books, but I thought that the last half of that book was so disturbing and utterly WRONG, that I can't even read King for a while yet. I don't know why, but the entire concept and ending "climax" disgusted me, and I'm not sure if it was in a good way. I guess I just like babies and children so much to see them... well, you'd have to read it. (I just can't imagine this man being a father.)

Though I do plan on reading the Gunslinger books.

My reluctant vote goes to King.