King or Koontz

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mark beem, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Stephen King

6 vote(s)
  2. Dean Koontz

3 vote(s)
  1. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Which do you prefer and what is your favorite book by each author?

King: The Stand / Insomnia

Koontz: Winter Moon / Tick Tock / Intensity
  2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    This poll is invalid!!!!

:mad: "Carrot" option...

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Stephen King. Is it true that the guy who hit him with a minivan died on Stephen King's birthday? :eek:
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Not an either/or guy here.

King- The Stand, It, Misery
    Koontz- The Watchers, Tick Tock, Hideaway.
  5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ

Dead Zone. ;)

7. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I've only read some 'Book of Horrors'-type short stories from Koontz, but I remember those being pretty cool stuff. Then again, King's Maximum Overdrive has AC/DC soundtrack..

Tough choice but Koontz, this time!
  8. *runs over guy* "Oh my god! Are you Steven King?" "No.., I'm Dean Koontz." "Oh." *backs up on him and runs him over again.*

Man I love Family Guy.:D
  9. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    The only book I've read by Dean Koontz was "Phantoms", which, according to the author's notes, is not indicative of the rest of his work. I realize he is not necessarily a "horror" writer, per se, but the way he explained away everything at the ending annoyed me to no end.

I read "The Shining" a while ago, and that gets a big thumbs up. On a whim, I decided to read Cujo, which was good, as well as the Green Mile.

Let me tell you, the Green Mile was one of the best books (or series of books) I have read in a LONG time. King is a virtuoso storyteller.

...then I read "Pet Sematary". I can handle a lot, in movies and books, but I thought that the last half of that book was so disturbing and utterly WRONG, that I can't even read King for a while yet. I don't know why, but the entire concept and ending "climax" disgusted me, and I'm not sure if it was in a good way. I guess I just like babies and children so much to see them... well, you'd have to read it. (I just can't imagine this man being a father.)

Though I do plan on reading the Gunslinger books.

My reluctant vote goes to King.