1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kings of Leon: Only By the Night

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassaficionado6, Sep 24, 2008.

1. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    So I just went to the local record store (getting used to Davis downtown) and picked up the new CD from Kings of Leon.

I just got finished listening to it and I think that it's safe to say that this is my favorite album of theirs. Jared Followill does an outstanding job creating some very melodic stuff. The whole album is really bass heavy.

Also I think Caleb Followill seems to be getting better and better. His singing is top notch on the album.

Anybody gotten this yet?

2. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    not yet but I will. I have Aha Shake Heartbreak and I love that album. What a kickass band:bassist:

3. listened to a coouple the songs, thus far, very good!

4. Autumn Walker

Autumn Walker

Nov 30, 2007
    Colorado
    Yup. Love it. The fuzz bass on "Crawl" is nasty as hell. This album appeals to me for the same reason the Cold War Kids' "Robbers and Cowards" does. Just a ton of vibe and swagger.

5. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I have the first couple of albums and I dig them. Will pick this up.

6. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    yeah i've been meaning to get this since it came out- i really dig most of jared's basslines from all the other albums. they are definitely a bass-heavy band.

7. I saw these guys open for Pearl Jam a couple of months ago, and I gotta tell ya, these guys are wicked! Great bass!

8. nellie48

nellie48 Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    i have turned into a big KOL fan. Becasue of the Times is what did it for me. i love all aspects of their music but especially enjoy Jared Followills bass parts. I went so far as to get myself a Gibson Thunderbird. I am also going to get a tremolo pedal to do that "Black Thumbnail" effect.

i bought their new album tonight and will be popping it in the player once the kids go down to bed.

9. nellie48

nellie48 Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hmmmm... Should I dare say, I find this album "boring". That is first impressions, perhaps it will grow on me.

10. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger.

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    I never listened to Kings of Leon until I grabbed this CD. It was recommended to me by my brother's friend. He said they have a good bassist. It's quite enjoyable. The singing is awesome and the bassist really stands out.

11. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    yeah i got this latest one a week or so ago now. it didn't sound like much at first but i like it a lot more- it takes a few listens to sink in. i still prefer 'because of the times' and 'aha shake heartbreak', since those two are a little more, like hard rock or something...

i think that there is a little energy that is lacking in this most recent one. i heard that caleb was doped up on painkillers when he wrote these ones (for a broken shoulder. it really sounds like a painkiller-induced album too.

and the fuzz bass on 'crawl'...so dirty!

12. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    I saw a picture of them the other day, for the first time.... i lol'd :smug: