Kings of Leon unhappy with Reading '09

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe164, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Joe164

Joe164

Aug 26, 2008
    Leicester, UK
    Hey guys. This one's for us brits that went to reading, and KOL fans.

The band played a brilliant set with the whole crowd singing along, even playing a good amount of their much-missed old records which really pleased everyone.

From where i stood the Lead singer (Caleb Followill) was shaking his head because the crowd were overwhelming him with support, which made me feel really good.

Turns out he was extremely annoyed with the sound crew and was shaking his head in disapointment with the general show :(.

Then, halfway through the set he decided to deliver a speech, but i won't bore you, here's The Sun's review.

The band struggled through their headline slot at Reading with a painful set that ended in smashing their guitars.
    The Nashville brothers played a lacklustre set that failed to captivate the audience, partially due to the dreadful acoustics and high winds.
    Caleb Followill's raspy vocals on Closer and Four Kicks did little to encourage the mass sing-a-long usually expected from a main stage act.
    The frontman tried to whip up enthusiasm, saying: "I thought this was supposed to be the loudest crowd in the world?"
    But failing to pick up the pace, he pleaded with fans before Sex on Fire, adding: "We need you guys to help us do this."
    Caleb did his best to save the boys from embarrassment, again begging the audience to liven up for The Bucket.
    He eventually surrended with an odd tirade, saying: "We know you're sick of Kings of Leon. We're f***ing sick of Kings of Leon too. But we get up here every night and I thank God for everything I've had.
    "So for all those who don't give a f*** about us, I understand. But we've worked hard to be here. We're the god damn Kings of Leon, so f*** you."

All i can say is, i loved it, but those guy's have let the fame get to them.

Watch the performance here

2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    wow, that's pretty sad

3. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Ugh. Not cool.

4. DreadRaver

DreadRaver

Nov 19, 2008
    Associate of Cusack Music / Mojo Hand FX
    Thanks for the link, but...
    I'm getting "Not available in your area" message - anybody else?

5. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I'm unhappy with Kings of Leon. Their music annoys me to no end.

6. Same here. It might not allow those of us outside of the UK to view it.

7. Isn't Kings of Leon that music that guys only say they like to get girls to sleep with them? I mean, I can't exactly say what I want to, but it involves the word wet.

8. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    I do believe so.

9. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Wow, you're the kings of leon.

Good for you.

10. Hugh9191

Hugh9191

Feb 20, 2009
    They cut off the rant on the video anyway, but I thought the music sounded pretty good and the crowd were going for it so I don't know why they're complaining!

11. i ve hated them since i first heard them. my point is proven once again why they are pricks.

12. Man that sucks. I appreciate and love there music.

13. jmattis

jmattis Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Washington DC
    I'd like to see that video. I love train wrecks. What a d-bag.

14. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I would assume so. Im really glad my girlfriend hates KoL just as much, if not more than I do. Thats how I knew she was the one!

15. acubass

acubass

Oct 10, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    Not everyone was disappointed...I guess if you weren't there it is easy to judge...heck the people that were there have different points of view. This just seems like an easy target for those who do not like KOL to make uninformed comments.

KINGS OF LEON WERE AMAZING!
    Something annoyed Caleb, making him think we were fed up with the KOL...NEVER!!! We will always love you and will never get fed up!!!
    KINGS OF LEON - ROCK - THANK YOU FOR COMING BACK!

I don't understand reviewers saying this was lackluster performance?! I've seen the band twice before and this as just as good as either of those performances.. Probably better.. Listen to Caleb's vocals on pretty much every song (especially the opener though for me).. They sound amazing! I'm not sure about the crowd comments, they sound pretty into it to me!! ...

I was at the gig last night and thought that KoL were awesome! So what if they had a strop - at least they were showing some emotion. I especially liked the bit when the guy smashed his guitar up - ROCK AND ROLL!

16. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    In six months they'll magically transform from "Kings of Leon" to "Who?"

17. jmattis

jmattis Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Washington DC
    You can say that with a lot of bands, but I don't think so with these guys.

18. Dmanlamius

Dmanlamius

Feb 24, 2008
    Folkestone
    Didn't bother with 'em....

Was only there to see Faith no more again, who once again blew me away...

19. My sex. It's on fire.
    Thankfully they make a cream for that.

20. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    When I went over I saw posters up for them coming to the University of Leeds. I asked my flatmates and their friends who they were, little did I know I would be bombarded with sex on fire every single night I went out. They acted like I didn't know who the Beatles or Zeppelin were.

I feel you man I never liked them and they sound like ****s. You're so unhappy with Reading? Don't go back.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021