1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Kings of Leon Will Be the First Band to Release an Album as an NFT

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Son of Wobble, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    k_hardy, Nuage420, Mr_Moo and 3 others like this.
  2. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    I fear change

3. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Succinct, and suggests you have taken a fearless self-inventory. I like it.

dasherf17, Mr_Moo, BigCactus and 15 others like this.
  4. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    So it is basically a ticket stub or a sales receipt? Since owning it lets you download the album, gives you a vinyl record, lets you into a concert, or some other thing that once resold the new purchaser won't necessarily get, the not only has value if someone wants it. I guess that taco cat digital image sold for a ton of money, so anything is possible.

dasherf17, Mr_Moo and Son of Wobble like this.
  5. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
  6. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Never heard of NFTs before this.
    Read the linked articles and am none the wiser.
    Nor do I want to be.
    I'm having none of this 'future' nonsense.:)

7. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Just another DRM method to me, with more flexibility in the content provided. It can be a good or bad thing, depending on how you look at it.

GregC, GBA_, Mr_Moo and 9 others like this.
  8. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Had to search to know what that is. I had no idea.

9. SunByrne

SunByrne opinionated intellectual Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    Ahh, the blockchain... a program for converting electricity into waste heat.

A BitCoin FAQ is still the best explainer for BitCoin, which generalizes to many other blockchain-based ideas, no matter how dated it is. Risks of Cryptocurrencies is a more recent commentary, but it's not as funny.

I generally embrace change, but I do fear change based on ideas where the people pushing them largely do not understand how they actually work.

GBA_, Mr_Moo, Richard IV and 21 others like this.
  10. slagbass

slagbass Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Canada
    Allow me to be the first TB'er to ask - what's the best bass for crypto-rock?

11. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I LOL'd today... But tomorrow, your post could well be a stickie! :thumbsup:

12. Rfan

Rfan

Dec 31, 2017
    None
    I fear another album by this wildly overrated band.

MattZilla, Beej, GregC and 32 others like this.
  13. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    The people want to know! :hyper:

14. Gsnorgathon

Gsnorgathon

Jan 15, 2020
    Non-fungible? That means it won't turn into fungus?

15. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    This went over my head just like the AC-130's and B-2's did when I used to live near an air base.

dasherf17, Mr_Moo, rufus.K and 11 others like this.
  16. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    So the release will be just like any other streaming release, with the option to buy a $50 NFT? And the NFT entitles the holder to an enhanced album cover, digital download and a vinyl LP? OK, have fun kids! I've got better use for my 50 clams at the neighborhood dispensary :cool:

Kings of Leon’s album will be released everywhere albums are released — Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon — but the NFT version available on YellowHeart will be the only product with special perks. The token, priced at $50, includes enhanced media — kind of like an alternate, moving album cover — as well as a digital download of the music, and limited-edition vinyl. The sale of the album NFTs opens on Friday at 12 p.m. E.T. and continues for two weeks. After that time, no more will be made, and the NFT becomes a tradable collectible.

Mr_Moo, MonetBass, mexicant and 7 others like this.
  17. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I’m kind of up in the air about NFT’s in general. Some will be worthwhile, some won’t. IMO, of course. I can’t remember what Kings of Leon sound like, so I’m not sure what to think of this one.

Mr_Moo and Son of Wobble like this.
  18. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    Is a benefit of a NFT that we don't ever have to "buy The White Album again"?

19. I misread this one, LOL: Kings of Leon Will Be the First Band to Release an Album as an WT*

dasherf17, teh-slb, tzohn and 5 others like this.
  20. I prefer my fungus to be on blue cheese, not tokens :bag:.

dasherf17, Mr_Moo, rufus.K and 7 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021