Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

King's X - Black Like Sunday tour

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by wulf, Sep 19, 2003.

1. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Has anybody been to the dates on this tour so far? They've been working their way through Europe and hit London tonight before moving things back over to the States.

I'm going with the drummer from my band - I'm stoked, as I'm a longtime fan but have never got round to seeing King's X live before. Any comments on what I should expect?

I've got my earplugs prepared in anticipation :D

Wulf

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I wasn't able to see them, but a drummer friend saw them in Hamburg and tortured me by calling me with his cell phone while they played "Over my head". :bawl:

GO SEE THEM!!!!

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    They're still playing Over My Head? That's brilliant - I love that song. I haven't heard any of 'Black Like Sunday' but am getting myself prepared by listening back to a selection from the seven or eight albums I do own.

Wulf

4. Caeros

Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    I was gonna see em back in Feb but my ride screwed up and got in an accident.

What have they been playing this tour?

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It was a pretty wide mix of old and new - a whole bunch of stuff like 'Cigarettes', 'Black Flag', 'Summerland' and, as their finale, 'Moanjam'. That was blended in with newer material, including a number of tracks from their new album.

Wulf

6. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Wulf,

you were there??? Where were you stood?? I was at the back on the left as you look at the stage.

What a FANTASTIC gig - defintely one of the finest live bands around. And boy does Doug look in good shape for a guy in his 50s!!!!!

'Twas a great set - really nice to hear so much Dogman stuff in there, as well as We Were Born To Be Loved, Moanjam, It's Love, Black Flag etc...

And Summerland was a blinder.

All in all an amazing gig, and one that confirms why they are one of my all time fave bands. Had a nice if brief chat with Doug after the gig. Hopefully they'll be back soon

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

7. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I'm seeing them November 1 in Seattle. I can't wait. Last time I saw them was when they did the tour with Galactic Cowboys. Was that the "Ear Candy" tour? I can't recall for sure.

"I'll get you eh Steve, if it's the last thing I doooooooo" :D

8. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Beermonkey - you playing bass for Yogi? Figures that you're going to see King's X then... :D

I've got 'Any Raw Flesh' - great album, though the King's X fixation is worn proudly on its sleeve... I LOVE Andre LaFosse's remix CD though...

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Almost at the front on the left - if I'd known you were around, I'd have kept an eye out for you.
    He certainly looks fit. I have to admit that I wasn't bowled over, although it was good to finally get to see one of my all time favourite bands. I guess I don't go to enough live gigs to really judge what's great and what's not - they created great music and had good rapport with the crowd but it was just so LOUD!

I kept my earplugs in all night but doubt I'd have heard anymore without them (at least this way my ears weren't ringing afterwards). It was a shame because I really wanted to hear them live and 80% of the experience was watching them instead...

Maybe I need to get out and see some more gigs to make a fairer comparison?

Wulf

10. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Wow, a person from the UK that has one of Yog's cds! That's cool. Have you heard 'Salve' yet? Lot's of really different stuff on that one. Hopefully we'll be recording a new full length studio album next spring. Andre's remixes will be released at some point as well.. it's a matter of coming up with the $$ to get it all done.

The whole band is actually going to see King's X that night in Seattle. Big surprise, huh? :) We've been playing a King's X cover live recently as well. A little known song called "Freedom" that was available only from a few obscure places; like the bone-us track on the Japanese release of 'Ear Candy'. Cool tune. There's video footage of us playing that song at the band website: http://www.halfzaftig.com/video/

Spifferooni.

11. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    It was very loud - and almost certainly considerably louder where you were than where I was! Standing at the front is not a great move if you're concerned by the volume! :D

I had my ear plugs in all evening too, but then I do at all but the quietest of rock gigs - my job relies on my hearing, so I'm taking no risks...

shame it didn't do for you what it did for me...

steve
    www.stevelawson.net

12. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    If I hadn't been with the drummer from my band, who wanted to be right down the front, I'd probably have bagged myself a space somewhere on the balcony round the top - probably, that would give a better view and less volume. We'll have to see if they live up to their promise of returning to London more quickly next time :D

Although my professional work doesn't rely on my ears, I still take great care with them so that I can continue to pursue music for enjoyment. Therefore, it grates with me that that club performances seem to be so loud - at my last gig, I even left the ear plugs in while we took a break and an acoustic guitar duet took the stage!

Are there any clubs round London that are geared up for people who want to listen to music rather than have their ears assaulted by sound? ;)

Wulf