1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

King's X in Vancouver, BC

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by karter2000, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Hi all,

Saw King's X in Vancouver, BC last night at the Red Room. I have to say that I was completely blown away. Best show I've ever seen! I parked myself in front of Doug all night, and it was incredible watching the man work. They have to be one of the most under-rated bands ever.

Also, Doug's tone was monsterous. I think he shook my insides more than once. Best bass tone ever.

Lyle:hyper:

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Is the Red Room a big place? What's it like?

Did you happen to notice what kind of bass he was playing, and what was in his rig?

-Mike

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I see they are playing a killer little club in Tacoma on Wednesday night. I suppose I'll have to go and check out the bass rig for myself!! Sweet!

-Mike

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Columbus OH in two weeks! :)

5. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    King's X played Saskatoon last Wednesday. I must say it was very odd seeing the King's X tour bus parked on the street by the club. AFAIK they've never played here before.

I posted a bit of a review on the 12stringbass.com forum:

Imagine my surprise when I found out King's X was coming to Saskatoon. As far as I know, they have never played here before. The road crew told me that they passed through once on the way to another gig.

Anyway, they played tonight at a club on Broadway called the Roxy. Too bad only 100-200 people were present for the show. The fact is, King's X hasn't toured much through Canada and just don't have a strong fan base here. That said, the small crowd was definitely appreciative the band made the effort to play here.

Before the show one of the stage crew told me dUg would be pulling out the 12-string for the encore, and sure enough he used it for two songs at the end of the night, starting out with a cool chiming 12-string solo intro, which I think were "We were born to be loved", and "Black Flag". Last time I saw the band in Vancouver, I don't think dUg played the 12 at all.... so I was glad to see him play the 12 again. Even with all of the distortion, the 12 definitely had an identifiable ring to it that the 4-strings didn't have.

Overall, the band sounded good, although they were playing in a smaller venue, and lacked the proper PA support to really do them justice. The beginning of the night was mostly songs off of the new album Ogre Tones, with a sprinkling of older songs. Ty was quite restrained throughout the night, with only a few extended solos. Toward the end of the night the band let loose more as they played more of the back catalog of classic King's X material.

After the show the band stuck around to chat with fans and sign autographs. I had a chance to talk with dUg and Ty for a while, and said a few words to Jerry. Ty gave me some interesting insights on how he and dUg have worked on their tones over the years, finding complimentary frequencies so they can slot each tone and keep it identifiable. For a heavy band that uses so much distortion, King's X has very refined sound. Even though the mix was loud, it wasn't harsh. Good tones all around guys!

6. The Red Room isn't huge, it's one level and probably holds about 400. I was pretty full, so it was a great turn-out.

I don't remember exactly, but he used Yamaha for most of the night, with the exception of his 12-string, which I don't remember what is was. He used a blue Yamaha and a green Yamaha for most of the night. He also used a black Yamaha which looked kinda like a P-bass. I tried to get a picture of his rig, but it was off to the side. From what I could see, it was similar to the rig that I've seen posted before. I could see two Ampeg SVP-Pro preamps, an Ampeg power amp, and an SVT-4 Pro, the Groove Tubes speaker emulator, the good o' Traynor Bassmaster, and lots of EQs! Also, the three 8X10 Ampeg cabs were there.

Lyle

7. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    First time I saw King's X was in the Red Room, a couple years ago. By the way, I didn't notice the Traynor this time, but did see an Ashdown ABM 900 EVOII in the rack.

The 12-string is a custom Yahama... see it here:

http://www.12stringbass.net/Yamaha.htm

8. That's right, I forgot about the Ashdown! It looked to me that the Traynor was at the top of the second case, without it's external case.

Just a side note, if it wasn't for Talkbass, I would not have discovered a lot of my favorite bands (Muse, King's X, etc)

Lyle

9. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    I saw them in Salt Lake City right before I came here to Iraq. Kick A$$ concert!!!!

10. I shot soda out my nose when I saw the sticker on the back of his bass. Pretty funny stuff, if you have a sense of humor about such things...