KINGS X : "Live All Over The Place" Opinions?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by PhatBasstard, Nov 15, 2004.

1. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    After years of whining about a lack of a KINGS X live CD and/or DVD they finally put one out (and a double disc at that).

1. Sound is excellent, if inconsistent (It's taken from many years and shows).
    2. "Acoustic" set (first half of disc 2). Not really full acoustic. Ty Tabor just switches to an acoustic guitar. This is my favorite part of the set (although "Everybody Knows A Little Bit Of Something" sounds out of place in this context). It gives a very nice sonic change to a band who's sound is, although excellent, rather one dimensional.
    3. Guitar is NOT overly loud in the mix (as it is on many of their studio recordings).

1. Would have liked to have heard better known songs like "It's Love" and "Lost In Germany" included.
    2. Although sound clarity is excellent overall, on some songs the mix (mostly vocals) is too dry, especially in relationship to others.
    3. Doug doesn't seem to play the 12 string anymore.:(
    4. Doug's Bass tone: First, there is almost too much Ultra-Low End. It makes the speakers in my truck rattle at settings no other CD does. Second, although I've always loved Doug's tone I've never liked the way he's mixed. Like most of their studio recordings, you don't hear enough of the Highs in his tone to make him CLEAR in the overall mix (a MUST in a Trio).
    Too many KINGS X recordings sound like the beef drops out when there is no rhythm guitar under the solos because the Bass isn't present enough.
    A problem RUSH never has (even without keys/sequencers).
    A little less Ultra-Low, a little more Volume and Presence/Highs would have been a big improvement in Dougs overall weight in the mix.

Not really a "Con":
    1. No DVD :bawl:

Overall I'm really enjoying this set though.
  2. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    It's due to arrive here today! We shall see....
  3. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Thanx for reminding me about Kings-X. I must have 6 or 7
    of there CD'S and a Poundhound CD as well.They kinda got
    pushed to the back of the shelf. I am going to get them out
    when I get home. I will look around for the live one and see who has the best price around here. :)
  4. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I dig the first disk. Its definitely a "bass heavy" mix. These guys sound great live. Its much "rawer" than a studio recording, especially Doug's vocals, but the precision and great harmonies are still there.

Unfortunately, I got a bad second disk, and it won't play, so I can't comment on that.
  5. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    My second disc kind of "missfires" at the beginning every so often, depending on which player I'm using, but it will always play on the second try. Weird.
  6. Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    I've had it since it came out, I love it.