Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

King's X - Ogre Tones

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    No posts on this disc yet? My fave so far!

Saw them in columbus a couple weeks ago, and they played the entire cd...killer!

2. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    i heard some of it yesterday...same old but good king's x sound.
    i always thought that they should change the drummer...because doug (now he calls himself dUg) and ty are king's x sound and the drummer doesn't add nothing, i think that ty tabor's jelly jam is a good example of how they can enhance with a better drummer (although john myung is playing bass).

3. It's on the Xmas list... I thought Black like Sunday was quite a limp effort, how does this one fair?

4. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    I haven't heard this one yet, but I say them at Woodstock '94 and thought they were the best act there (among many other very good acts). dUg's tone is the bee's knees.

5. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    i heard it today from the begining to the end and it's much better then black like sunday...a lot better !!
    good melodies and some nice grooves :bassist: .

6. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Black Like Sunday was actually some old material from around the Gretchen Days. So, Ogre Tones is pretty different than what they've done for a while. ;)

7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Well, as to replacing jerry for "lack of contribution" I think that's garbage. There's only so much sonic space any band can use, Doug and Ty fill it well. Jerry is a very solid drummer with great chemistry with those two, and his vocals are as big of a part to the KX sound as any other ingredient.

This CD is up there with dogman IMO.

The show we saw, we were right against the stage in front of Ty (no barrier). Here is a pic I took with my cell phone camera, no zoom.....

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Also, two of my current faves on this cd to check out are their current single "alone", and I also really like "bebop". We got to hang with the guys for a little bit, and they were all really cool.....didn't talk to doug or jerry much, but Ty was cool as hell.

I also saw pics of KX's tour bus which caught on fire and burnt down this past week while on the road. Gladly, the guys were all okay, as was all of the gear.

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

You have to be kidding? You know Jerry does almost all the high harmonies, right? The King's X vocal sound wouldn't be anywhere near the same without Jerry.

10. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    :bag: ok didn't know that...but listen to Ty playing with rod morgenstein, it sounds like he's taking him to the edge.

11. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I caught them in Detroit on 11/6, still haven't picked up the Ogre tones yet but it's on the list. Get rid of Jerry? Sacrilege! He is an excellent drummer, sings great harmonies, and drives their sound. I think Dug (the new correct spelling) is actually the worse musician in the group and that is not a cut down. I am not a "Metal Guy" but I've always loved Kings X because their so melodic and have their own sound. Tim, I was about a close as you, standing in the "pit" in a small club and shaking Ty and Dugs hands after. They have a great live sound, very well balanced. My only reservation with them is Dug's anger scares me sometimes. He needs to enjoy himself occasionally, life is not that bad!

12. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Burk, I haven't noticed any anger issues.....it looked like they all had a good time that night.

PS, I've heard quite a few people say that Jerry's solo project smokes the other two's side deals...

14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Tim..I have Jerry's solo disc if you want to borrow it. It's good, but definitely different from anything King's X you've heard.

16. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I do enjoy Ogre Tones, but have to say that I am really liking Jughead (Ty's latest side band). Not a bad song on the entire album.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Doug's anger doesn't scare me because he comes by it honestly. And it's not misdirected. Doug is angry at the people who he should be angry at, like gay-bashers, hypocritical religious zealots and police in Florida who bust him for a little bit of pot. But I don't think he's generally angry at everyone. He was super sweet to me.

A couple of years ago, Doug gave me a new lease on life as an older musician. I was bumming about my career, and I wrote him to ask what he thought because he's in his 50's and still playing music. And he was extremely encouraging and told me to keep doing it if I really loved it and don't let naysayers get me down, and stuff like that. So I'm grateful to him for encouraging me to still keep doing it and now I make a pretty good living and have a great time playing music. So God bless him.

As for him being the weakest musician in the band, considering he writes most of the songs and sings like he does, I don't know how you can say that. So what if he doesn't rip on the bass like Flea? Maybe he feels his music doesn't need him to shred. He's got the respect of almost every rock musician in the business who knows of him, so he must have something on the ball. Maybe you didn't mean it as a putdown, but to truly judge his level of musicianship, you need to look at the big picture and not just judge him on his bass playing, which BTW, is excellent.

18. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    First thing, I did not intend my post to be a "cut down" on Dug. When I said he was the "worst musician" in the band that was a relative statement. I believe Jerry Gaskul is an exceptional drummer and Ty is among the best rock players in the world. Compared to the other band members Dug is the "worst musician in the group" it is a relative term. He is an excellent writer and singer, and his basslines "work" with the tunes. But I don't find myself running home from a Kings X concert wanting to work out his lines . I love his tone and his lines work excellently with their music, nothing at ALL wrong with that. I just don't find myself going to a Kings X concert for the bass playing IN AND OF ITSELF thats all.

As far as Dugs anger, I'm encouraged to hear he returned your letter with a letter exhorting you to continue. All I know is what I saw in the concert. And his constant "F*** this" was disconcerting. On one hand to listen to him sing about his grandmother praying for him with such emotion and then to hear him sing "Why the F*** did God make this?" a couple of songs later is troubling. Maybe I'm just one of those "hypocritical religious zealots" but it appears to me that Dug's anger is directed at God and I find that troubling. I say this out of concern for him, and not in any way because I'm "better" then him.

19. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Years ago, Doug (or rather dUg) had the best answering machine message: (sung to "Over My Head") "I-eee-I-eee can't come to the phone! I-eee-I-eee might not be at home! If you - if you - if you leave a mes-sage, I'll return your call!" A friend of mine used to talk/hang out with him alot, and one day we kept calling his number over and over just to hear that message. Doug was probably wondering what all those blank messages on his machine were...

Anyway, I need to check this cd out! I've been kinda out of the King's X loop for awhile.

20. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I don't know what Doug's personal issues or trials he has been through in life are like(can't even imagine), no way in the world I can judge HIM for what HE has faced. If he wants to voice his feelings in his music, more power to him.