Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kingston 5 or Grendel: need help now

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by richperson, Apr 23, 2002.

1. MTD Kingston 5

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. MTD Grendel 5

16 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. richperson

richperson

Mar 20, 2002
    Okay, I am ready to go and have these two in front of me, and I want to buy one of them today!

MTD Kingston 5, new $450

Pros: played one and loved the tone, especially the low B, and the neck; lower cost; Feiten tuning

Cons: Sorry, but I think they are kind of ugly; miss the versatility of active electronics to control tone on the fly. (Do I really need the active extended high end for normal fingerstyle?)

MTD Grendel used in very good condition $650

Pros: more versatile tones; active electronics; bart pups; much more attractive (maple top);

Cons: haven't actually played one (is B as good?); versatile tones, but does it have the one I want?; standard (non-Feiten) tuning;

Opinions please!

2. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    I own a Grendel bass (the ones made before they were named "MTD"), and it's a beautiful bass! Usually I would go and buy a new fretted bass at least once a year, but the MTD Grendel has been my main bass for more than three years... if that says anything...

The B is tight and very "together", and you can get a lot of different tones from this bass. It's light, balances extremely well, and mine was perfectly finished. The body shape is very much like the Kingston, though, so if you don't like that, don't expect too much more from the Grendel. The Grendel exists in two versions: with our without a flame maple top. Mine has the flamed top, and it's gorgous (at least I think so).

When I first got the bass, I didn't really see the use of the mid-frequency boost switch. However, I now use it quite frequently. It gives a nice variation to the tone, especially when recording directly to my computer.

I have never had the pleasure of playing the Kingston, so I cannot say much about that. Based on other peoples reviews of them, I do believe the Grendel to be a "better" bass.

Hopefully Adrian Garcia will drop by, as he's the MTD expert around here. I have too limited experience with the rest of the MTD line to be of real use to you.

Good luck, though! ;)

3. richperson

richperson

Mar 20, 2002
    Thanks for your comments on the Grendel. I know Adrian's web site has samples of the Kingston and the Grendel. But on my computer it is hard to distinguish the two and difficult to get a picture of the full tonal ranges. I am afraid that the pickup placement in the Kingston provides a sound (that I like very much) that may not be reproduced by the Grendel. I know that if I like the sound of the Kingston, then I should just buy it. But I do like the control and range of active electronics and think the Grendel is a much nicer looking instrument.

4. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Yeah, I know what you mean... Buying the Kingston is OK if that's the sound and instrument you want. I can't tell if you can get the Kingston sound out of the Grendel, cause I don't know the Kingston sound myself.

The one who could really answer your question is Adrian... I saw him on here earlier, so he'll probably be around in a little while. I hope it's not that urgent?

Good luck! It's a pain to be in that situation, but it's also a sweet pain... I love it when I'm in the instrument purchase phase! ;)

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Grendel!! BTW, what does it look like? Color, fretboard wood, etc?

6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    man, sure are a lot of MTD posts lately.

i've never played a Grendel.

i was hesitant about the Kingston 5 (mine is fretless) for the same reasons you currently are.

but, after playing one at the Bass Exchange...i was SOLD!!!!

i love that it is the ultimate in simplicity.

one pickup, passive, one tone control.

with varied technique, i get tons of tonal range!!!

just my thoughts.

fred

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    $650 for a Grendel is excellent- im assuming its the one with the Grendel in the peghead- or ist it the one with the MTD logo?
    Kingstons are awesome- they have a very unique growl for sure- but at $650- id have to go with the Grendel- active for one thing- and if it has the exposed pole bartolini j's- even better- ive seldom heard punchier, more aggresive pickups- by the way, same pickups as the Beast. But with the active..look out!!
    yeah, i say go with the Grendel

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    i would say get the grendel also.. The kingston is a rocken bass. but a grendel for that price shouldn't be past up.. also I listened to adrians sound clips... and the grendel has the "growl" I like in my basses... I may pick up a used grendel when i get the money.. Man i'm awlays thinking about buying new gear. i just bought a new bass in july and a nice nice cab 3 weeks ago... oh wait this thread isn't about me sorry... kinda ;)

For the price... get the grendel Just my 2 cents

9. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Jump on the Grendel deal. There are plenty of new Kingstons available. If you don't like the Grendel, you can re-sell it (probably, without taking a loss) and then buy a new Kingston.

10. richperson

richperson

Mar 20, 2002
    Thanks for all of your help. Given the overwhelming result of the poll and comments, I took the advice of the audience.

The Grendel deal I started on fell through, but I found one I liked even better for just a little more $$. As most know, the Grendel's from Czech Republic are no more. It turns out that the parts for the last 24 of them were sent back to the Tobias custom shop for assembly. So I ended up getting a brand new one of these last Grendels with a figured maple top and maple fingerboard that was supposedly at least partially assembled by Mr. Tobias himself. I doubt that Mike's touch really adds any value, but he is the man and that means a lot to me.

Now I just have the long wait (shipping).

Thanks again.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
  13. That is an awesome website! I think I found where I will be oredering my next bass from!