Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

kingston 5 pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by brooklynbassguy, Oct 31, 2004.

1. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    I want to replace the pickup in my mtd kingston 5 with a high quality pup, that's warm and punchy. I'll even go custom, as it's a unique, oversized musicman style pup. Does anbody know of anything? :ninja:

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

All I can say it that the Kingston already sounds with an awesome, high quality to me. I'm not sure another pickup could improve anything just because there will be a 3rd party brand on it.
    Adding a 2nd pickup might be a better solution. Or just get a Heir.

3. brooklynbassguy

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    Yes, it already sounds great, but after playing this bass for 3 years, and numerous recordings I know there are better sounds lurking within. After all, a $600 instrument with great woodworking, and fretwork. There had to be cost cutting somewhere...

4. brooklynbassguy

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    OK, no takers? Does anybody, know where they're made, and by whom?

5. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
    My Kingston Heir 4 also had the MTD custom alnico J and MM pickups.
    I replaced em with Barts.

6. brooklynbassguy

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    What kind of improvements did you notice with barts? Did you also add a preamp? I have an aguiliar 2 band in my K5...

7. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Dublin
    You may want to try a search - there's been a lot of discussion on this but nothing seems to be conclusive.

It seems that it's hard to find a drop in replacement for the stock p/u's as the string spacing is so wide. A general theory seems to be to try and replace the preamp first.

I'm also thinking about doing the same thing as I have a Heir5 - my main gripe with it is that the neck p/u is noisy (oh and I got rid of the pickguard within 30 seconds of buying it).

Let me know how you get on.

Andy

8. brooklynbassguy

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    I've had a few conversations with Larry of aero pickups. If we can find a cover, he'll make one, otherwise it will be frankenstein time...Or I may buy another and use that as a test bunny...

9. ironfist

ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    I believe even the MTD import pickups are made by Bartolini. I'm guessing that they might've been designed by Bill Bartolini and made overseas to be OEM or something... but that's just conjecture. I'm sure Mike Tobias would tell you if you emailed him. I've sent him a couple messages and he's always gotten right back to me. He's a great guy.

If I'm not mistaken, I think the coils in the Kingston's MM style pickup are wired in parallel. Maybe putting them in series would give you a tone you like bettter?

Another thing is that the Heir's pickup placement is different. The MM humbucker on the Heir is a little bit closer to the bridge than it is on the Kingston. I like where the Kingston's pickup is right now, so I'd almost be more inclined to have my Kingston routed for a neck pickup than to get an Heir. I think it would be nice to add another MM style pickup in the Kingston's neck position. :cool: