Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kingston backup to Millenium 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blues Bass 2, Mar 10, 2002.

1. I've had a Millenium 5 for a little over a week now and think I am done with 4 strings.I really like the 35"scale and have no problems doing any of the music I did on my 4-strings.I'd like a good backup with a similar feel to the Peavey so I was thinking of the MTD Kingston.I could sell my 4-string I have left(80's BB 2000)and have just about enough to cover the MTD.Am I nuts to sell my old Yamaha and would the Kingston be a worthy backup?Like some opinions.
    Thanks

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    the K5 Is VERY worthy. Best bass under 1000, new. Even over, in some cases. It also bears one of the best B strings I've ever played, with only a few basses topping it. Heck, it's better in A than most are tuned to B. Good good bass!

3. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    I 2nd Brendan's comments.

The Kingston is definitely a good bass for the money - 35" scale and overall good fit & finish. I also like the simple electronics. My primary concern would be the soft basswood body. (I played on a K5 just a couple of weeks ago that was on display at a local dealer. It had only been there a week or so but already had some dents in the body.)

You might also consider the MTD Heir. It's a K5 with the addition of a J pickup in the neck position. (It also has a figured maple top.)

cheers,
    darrelpr

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've played a few Kingstons now and am *extremely* impressed with the quality/price ratio.

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    you said kingston was the best bass under 1000.... i dont think so, my GT-7 was 999 and it has the best b on the planet

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If you really like the Yammy, yes, you're nuts to sell it:D

Of course, it's your decision.

In my situation, I always take two basses on gigs, neither is really primary until I see how I feel. For example I'll take my MTD 635 but the other bass may be a fretless or a fretted that has zip in common with the MTD. I might have a Lakland 55-94 as a "backup" or a Zon Legacy... or an MTD 635.

What's your price range? A new Kingston is in the $500 range and IMO will be a very nice backup or primary bass. Also look at the MTD Heir. Either could possibly take the Millenium's place;)

7. Thanks for the responses.I've decided to take the plunge and sell my Yamaha.Its the best 4-string I've had but I would rather have another 5 and I can't afford three basses right now.

I've posted it in the classifieds here and probably will on HC also.The guys I play with already think I'm nuts.

Thanks again.