Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

kingston heir fingerboard , modifications

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tragicmagic, Jul 19, 2002.

1. Hi all,

I know there are quite a few people here that play mtd kingstons or heirs...

I'm seriously considering getting one, but am still undecided on whether to get rosewood or maple fingerboard. I've not seen an mtd heir in person, nevermind gettin to try one out.

What do you think feels better, rosewood or maple fingerboard? Which fingerboard wood sounds better on the heir? Which do you think "looks" better with the tobacco sunburst color scheme? I know answers to those questions are all subjective, but I'd still like to hear everyone's opinion.

What modifications have you done to upgrade your mtd bass? i.e. changing pickups, adding preamp.

Is there anything about the Heir that you don't like (or just plain annoys you)?

Thanks for your input...

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Heir? Tobacco? Hmn.That IS a tough call. I'm gonna say rosewood though.

I have the Heirs little Bro, the Kingston (5er) and I have a custom flat black pickgaurd (not that gaudy perloid) and am soon gonna change the Bridge out for a Hipshot A. Other than that, I don't think these basses NEED modding!

3. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    For looks, I would go with rosewood with the 'burst, but there are different sounds for different fretboard woods. It's been said before, and I'll repeat it, that a maple fretboard will produce a brighter tone than a rosewood, which is somewhat warmer. I own a Kingston 5 sans pickguard, not an heir, but I believe the principle remains the same. Have fun with whatever your choice is; I love my Kingston, but when the Yamaha RBX-775 comes to the USA, I might bite.

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  5. can anyone find me a black kingston 5 with a maple fretboard for 500 or less? it would be greatly appreciated and also does the seymour duncan mm replacement come with 2 or 3 knobs?

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    let me try- if they are available , i can get you one- peace, Adrian
    ps- ok, checked real quick- none left- ill call m they have some on order- taking care of your request should not be too hard- peace, Adrian

7. do u mean not to hard or too hard? heh

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    yes, i am old and senile.. you have to forgive me..

9. if your still looking adrian, can u pm me when u get a confirmation or anything? thanks in advance

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    cool, bro- ill check again tomorrow-- seems everyone's at NAMM-