Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kingston Heir or Spector Rebop?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chengann, Aug 13, 2005.

1. chengann

chengann

Apr 22, 2003
    hi, everyone:

i am shopping for a lighter 5 string.
    my present lak 5594 can get painful
    on the shoulder and back during long gigs.
    also, i am looking to get out of the fenderish tone.
    i like a darker, punchy growl. something like a
    warwick thumb.

with a budget of ~600 dollars, which do you think
    is a better buy?

the rebop with the dot inlays may still be had
    at around this budget.

opinions appreciated. i have no access to both basses
    at the shops here. have to rely on opinions of people
    who have played both basses.

thanks much!

-cheng

2. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    I can't reply on the Kingston, but I do have a Rebop 5 with the Aggie preamp. I have been extremely happy with it. It has a wonderful dark and growly tone, but can achieve a cat scratch trebly bite also. It is very light and conforms to the body well. I believe that some of the other preamps available may lean a little more to the treble side of the EQ, but the "tone pump" is highly regarded as far as I can tell. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the two volume controls. I would much prefer a master and pan. I was going to have it converted soon, but I recently read somewhere that having this done can alter the tone, which I do not want to do.
    Randy

3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    The two biggest differences are the pickup/electronics and string-spacing, with the Heir having a J/MM setup to the ReBop's passive EMG-HZs. They're fairly different basses against the Spector in terms of that factor, but IMO equal in value, construction, etc... I think the biggest factor in terms of playability is the string-spacing: the MTD has 3/4"/19mm "standard", the Spector a bit tighter.

I'd personally pick the Spector as I love their bolt-ons, but it's really a personal decision. There's no make-or-break factor in this one, only what you like (or think you'd like.)

4. chengann

chengann

Apr 22, 2003
    what about tone?

the online sound clips i found (for kingston) seem to indicate a less punchy growl. it's a full bodied low mid.

the spector sound clips are more hi-fi and punchy on some.

any input on this?

5. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    The MTD's CAN get hi-fi and punchy. You just gotta tweak 'em. You didnt mention whether it was the active or passive verion of the Heir. I'd go with MTD they just sound better IMO, their construction is flawless and Mike inspects every last one that hits the states before retail. Bass central has a plan that will let you check one out for 30 days. Give 'em a call.

6. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I can't comment on the Rebop, but I have an active Kingston 5 (only one MM-style pup - no neck pup). I love it. I can get all the sounds I want from it. It gets much more stage time than my other, more expensive basses.

Like Lo End said, check to see if you are looking at the active models or passive. The actives came out in January 2005.