Kingston questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by herbivore_bmx, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Since this is my first post I just want to say hey to everyone. I know topics like this probably get a little irritating after a while, but I've done all the searching I can and still have some questions. Sorry in advance for this being pretty lengthy.

For the past 6 months I've been using some $100 Rogue that my parents bought for my little brother for Christmas. The reason they went so cheap is because they didn't even know if he would stick with it. Well, he didn't, but I have.

I've only played a few different basses at the GC by here, and from what I've played, I liked the tones of a MIM P (I didn't try a MIA) and a Stingray (I'm a Fugazi nut, so I had to try it). I also tried a Groove Tools 5, and while the sound wasn't exactly what I was looking for, I found it very comfortable. I'm probably going to get a 5 string just so I could have more options if I ever need them.

As for the Kingston, I haven't found one to try yet. Iv'e found that a lot of people who like P's also like the Kingstons. I know they both have somewhat wide necks (which I like), but how do the tones compare? Seeing as how the MTD has a MM style pickup, does it come at all close to sounding like a Stingray?

One thing I've been hearing about the Kingston is how good the B string is. When I played the GT5, the B felt pretty loose, although that's probably because of me not being use to a 5. So does the Kingston's feel pretty tight?

I think that's all I have for now. Thanks a lot for even reading this far :) .
  2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
  3. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i play a MTD heir 5 which is essentially a Kingston with a neck pickup added. i really love this bass. Comparing it to a Fender Precision, not TOO dissimilar, but the kingston is way more mid-rangey and has more "bite." As for Stingrays, let me put it like this... i think the Stingray can do what the Kingston can do, but the Kingston can't do all that a Stingray can do. In other words, there is some common ground in regards to tone, but the Stingray is way more versatile. I've played Stingrays but never owned one, so someone else might correct me or add to this...
    The Kingston is not the most versatile bass in terms of the tones it can get, but it is a great bass: very high quality for the price, and IMO way better quality than a Mexican Fender (which i also like).
  4. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    wait, i just remembered that some stingrays have 3 band EQ and pickup selector switch, etc. while others don't. So basically, what i said above might be meaningless...:p
    but if it's a standard stingray with 2 band EQ, i still think you're in the ballpark.
  5. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I've had my Kingston 5 since 11/00 and while it is true that it is not the most versatile bass due to the simple electronics,the neck is wonderful and the B string is far superior to many basses costing twice as much money.To be fair,the Sting Ray 5's B string is very good as well,especially considering it has a 34" scale,but a Ray 5 costs roughly 3 times as much as the Kingston,so IMO the Kingston is still the best bang for buck in a 5 string.
  6. I've put a BassLines MM replacement pickup & a korean preamp (ordinary upgrade) in my Kingston and from what I know of the MM sound from records it's sounding close, in the parallel, or series, I don't know, pickup wiring mode. With a 3-way switch for this plus the 3-band EQ it becomes a lot more versatile, and if it's a Heir (2 pups), you'll have a lotta fun discovering all the possible tones.

7. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    Hi RiverFunk...
    can you elaborate about that preamp? who makes it? 2 band or 3 band, etc...
    also, i checked out your tunes on your page.
    which bass did you play on the "slow blues"?
    nice sound on that one...
  8. It's an Ibanez preamp with 3-band EQ, it did cost 3/4 of the price of a Bart preamp. Not the best but I had no other options. With the new pickup, it worked very well, although, with the stock pickup, the sound was only marginally improved, and the tonal variety was not satisfactory.

Thanks for checking out my band! That is my K5 before any modification was made, tone pot at 50%. I think it worked well with melodic songs because the notes are so defined. The buzzing bass in "Suspicion" is a Samick 5-string, which I sold to help pay the K. A K doesn't buzz like that, well you know, you have a Heir! :p
  9. odie

odie Supporting Member

Hey what mods did you need to do to get that Basslines p-up in htere??
  10. Sorry I can't say, my luthier installed it to me.
    But no wood was carved for the pickup to fit!
  11. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    hey that's good to know...
    i'll probably do a similar upgrade on my K/heir 5 string.
    in addition to the basslines, i was also considering this
    carvin pickup
    if i get around to doing the upgrade soon, i'll try to post some sound clips~
  12. odie

odie Supporting Member

For some reason I thought there wasnt a drop in replacement. What i heard is the only way to avoid taking away wood was to send the p-up to Seymour duncan and have them rewrap and build in the case of the old p-up.