Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kingston v. Warmoth Deluxe 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NJL, Jan 13, 2003.

1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I am saving a few bucks for a five-string, but I can't decide which to buy...

Some say the Kingston has a great B, yet it is not versatile.

Some say Warmoth will give you many options on woods, pick-up routes and necks, but I searched and couldn't find any opinions on the B-string.

Money is an issue, but I would be able to piece together a warmoth.

I am a lefty (no immature lefty flames, please) that's why I am looking at these basses - they come in lefty.

I would stay passive with both because I have a Sadowsky floor pre.

I figure most would say warmoth, but maybe i will be surprised.

Thanks

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

The Warmoth is going to cost a lot more than the Kingston!! Probably close to double, unless you use lower end electronics etc.

I would say get the Kingston, you can always change things, like a preamp etc.

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Ditto.

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i would just get some barts (keep it passive, due to cost)

i already have a floor pre-amp, sadowsky

i wonder how the b-string is on any of the warmoth combos..

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

The b on the Kingston is pretty darn good, and the neck is the most comfortable I have ever played. I dig the wide spacing at the bridge. THat and you have the preamp to use with it.

The only drawback is the color options.

I would be interested in how you can build a Warmoth for under $500.:confused:

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i just picked up a Kingston. I really like it.

THe neck is very comfy and as for adding an OBP there is plenty of room in the control cavity. though instead of doing that I am running mine thru a fodera out board pre.