1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kingston v. Warmoth Deluxe 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NJL, Jan 13, 2003.

1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I am saving a few bucks for a five-string, but I can't decide which to buy...

Some say the Kingston has a great B, yet it is not versatile.

Some say Warmoth will give you many options on woods, pick-up routes and necks, but I searched and couldn't find any opinions on the B-string.

Money is an issue, but I would be able to piece together a warmoth.

I am a lefty (no immature lefty flames, please) that's why I am looking at these basses - they come in lefty.

I would stay passive with both because I have a Sadowsky floor pre.

I figure most would say warmoth, but maybe i will be surprised.

Thanks

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

The Warmoth is going to cost a lot more than the Kingston!! Probably close to double, unless you use lower end electronics etc.

I would say get the Kingston, you can always change things, like a preamp etc.

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Ditto.

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i would just get some barts (keep it passive, due to cost)

i already have a floor pre-amp, sadowsky

i wonder how the b-string is on any of the warmoth combos..

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

The b on the Kingston is pretty darn good, and the neck is the most comfortable I have ever played. I dig the wide spacing at the bridge. THat and you have the preamp to use with it.

The only drawback is the color options.

I would be interested in how you can build a Warmoth for under $500.:confused:

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i just picked up a Kingston. I really like it.

THe neck is very comfy and as for adding an OBP there is plenty of room in the control cavity. though instead of doing that I am running mine thru a fodera out board pre.