Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kingston Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dirk, Aug 12, 2002.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Is it possible to wire the MTD Kingston's pickup so you can add a 3-way coil splitter. I think this would add a lot of versatility and add that single coil sound. If it is possible, how much would you estimate the cost to be if done by a good tech?

Dirk

2. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Technically it is possible. You'd need to open it up and rewind the coils. No its not cheap. I guess it would cost at least the same as a new Bartolini tri-coil.

3. I took mine to the luthier to do this and he said it only had one wire coming out or something and so this wasn't possible.

4. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    It's doable but not financially viable,you basically have to rebuild the pickup.
    FWIW,I have 2 basses that have a Music Man style humbucker in the bridge position like the Kingston,one like the Kingston does not have coil split capability and the other does.Even on the bass that does have it,I always run the bridge pickup with both coils on,i.e.just like the other bass.
    It simply sounds best to me,fat and punchy.

5. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i'm not sure what the MTD looks like under the pickguard, but those 3-way switches take up a lot of space, so you'd most likely end up having to rout out a good chunk of wood to fit that in there. They do make 3 way mini switches, but one switch is like $20-30.

The cheapest and most effective way to get more variety out of the tone, IMO would be to get an active preamp with some good EQ options.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The Kingstons have a HUGE control cavity. It'll swallow a complete 18v system and laugh. You can drop anything you can think of in there, with room to spare. Definitely not going to be a space issue.

7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    poo on 3 way switch. wire up the coils to a stack pot or go with a volume and a blend pot. way more tones available that way.