Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kingston5 FL or a Skyline55-02 FL

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Limo, Oct 22, 2002.

1. MTD Kingston 5 fretless

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Lakland Skyline 55-02 fretless

15 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I'm thinking of buying a fretless from Adrian at acces-bass and wanted to know which one you would choose, I know they are not in the same price range but I'm mainly a fretted player so I wouldn't want to spend too much money for a bass I didn't use a lot

thanks
    Limo

2. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    as far as the basses go, I would pick the lakland over the MTD.... better bass, great electronics, a hard bass to beat in any comparison. but since you won't use it that much, I wouldn't use up a lot of money on the lakland, when the MTD could be had for a good deal less.

P@

3. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    thank you guys for voting but I need more info on these basses, any personal experiences??

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    well... just kidding,;)
    im anxious to hear from the people as well!

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Makes no sense to me - why buy a bass that you aren't going to use a lot? Save youself a lot more money, by not buying either and only buying things that you will use a lot! ;)

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    yeah, man!! are you crazy! just forget the whole thing!!:rolleyes:

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    There are a couple of reasons to buy the Kingston

Value - A great bass at very reasonable cost

MTD design - Yes it is inexpensive but the bass is designed by Michael Tobias. Michael has been and continues to be one of the great bass designers (in fact he designed the Lakland hollowbody). The Lakland is a good execution of a time honored design, but the MTD is much more unique.

QC - Even though the Kingston is made in Korea, Michael has a direct say in the quality control of the basses.

Neck - The MTD has a 2 octave neck, great for melodic playing on the fretless. Additionally, the MTD's assymetrical neck is like butter under the fingers.

I'm not sure what criteria pmkelly uses to say that the Lakland is a "better bass".

One more thing. Too many people get hung up on the whole active electronics argument. Active electronics are not necessarily a better thing. When I used to record with my Fodera I HAD to record in passive mode as the bass was too noisy played active. Additionally all the great P-Bass and J-bass recordings over the past 50 years are on passive basses.

Mike
    disclaimer - I endorse for MTD basses.

8. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    having played both basses, I just feel that the finish, playability, the sound, everything just felt better to me.... I am not saying that the Kingston is'nt a good bass, I just thought that the Skyline is superior... When the time came for me to put my money on a bass, I put my money on the Skyline. One day, when I have the spare cash, I would love to have a Kingston around the house. But for now, the Skyline does great for me! But like I said in my previous post, if Limo is looking at cost-effectiveness for his fretless, then he would do well to look into a Kingston fretless, IMHO.

P@

9. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I got 3 mid-high end fretted basses which I'm happy with which I use a lot, now I need a low-end fretless bass which I'm not going to use a lot. Makes perfect sense to me:p

10. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Thanks for the explanation. As in most cases (mine included) it comes down to a matter of personal taste and not, by any means, empirical data. It is a matter of taste.

Although I usually agree with Bruce, I must take exception here. Unless you've taken the time to really get into a fretless bass, you really don't know the range of possibilities. How your other musical endeavors can be enhanced. As you play fretless you become much more aware of intonation and note choice. You become more keenly aware of the attack and decay of the note. You open up new worlds of musical possibilities. If spending a few hundred dollars is not going to force you to sell your kids, sell your body, etc. than the investment can easily be justified.

Mike

11. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    couldn't have been said better, as I onviously should have tried with my first post on the subject! :D

P@

12. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    actually I have owned a couple of fretlesses and I love them, it's just that I am in 2 rock bands and don't need fretlesses in those bands, however I'm a little tired of having to borrow a fretless whenever I do a "fretless" session work. I am dying to buy a Lakland USA made fretless but my wallet says no at this point.
    This is my dream bass:D

13. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    the top on that bass is just wrong! it hurts! I like it......

nice choice Limo!

P@

14. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Myrtle does make a great top!

[​IMG]

this one is mine
    Mike

15. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    there are just way to many cool basses that are showing up right now..... the GAS is building to almost unbelievable levels!

that is one sweet bass Mike.... very cool!

P@

16. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    This is magnifico Mike:D

17. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Kingston. If you don't want to send alot of $$$, don't :)

18. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I think the Kingston is going to be a winner here;)

19. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    i think youll love the feel- and if you find you need more eq- just drop one of the new Aguilar 3 bands in there...

20. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Yeah I'm thinking about installing an Aguilar in my Yamaha too.