Kingsy Pup Replacement Idea!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tsal, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    So, we know that Kingston has very wide string spacing, so most of the 5-string HBs won't fit. But how about buying a 6-string pup with 'blade'-style magnets like EMG 45 and routing bit larger hole?
  2. The EMG-45 has a narrower aperture than the stock pickup--it'd look mighty ugly to have that much empty space surrounding the pickup, and stuff might get caught under there.

A tabless Stingray 5 replacement pickup like a Bartolini MV5 would be a much better idea, as it fills up the cavity completely (except for the ears).
  3. doesn't carvin have a wide spacing 5 string MM pickup?

Bartolini can make them, but you have to get in line behind the rest of the world.
  4. I think the MV5 is one of the shells they make on a regular basis...ordering from a well-stocked dealer or luthier might well get you one.
  5. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Peter, you are right about the space going to be left around the pup, but you can always put some extra wood in there.

The Bart pup would be a good idea, yes, but I'm concerned if it will be wide enough. It's specs are 78mm for string spacing, so it's right on the limits.. I need to measure the string width when I get the bass back.
  6. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i have one of those wide-spaced-5 carvin pickups for sale in the classified listings. I'll sell it for $50 plus shipping.. PM me or something.
  7. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Well, both Bartolini and Seymour Duncan make pickups for the Lakland 5's, and they have the same spacing and same style pickup as the Kingston--I would think you'd be able to get a replacement from one of them.

8. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i tried to get one of the basslines pickups from seymour duncan for the aforementioned Carvin, but they said that they're only allowed to sell them to Lakland. They can custom wind a pickup to fit any casing you give them, but that's time and cash.

Maybe if you contact Lakland, they'll sell you one.
  9. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    That'd be 19.5mm and K5 is 19mm string to string so you have lots of margin.