1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

kinky cables

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by topper, Jul 21, 2008.

1. I'm not sure where this belongs, mods please move if needed.

Anyone got any tricks for straightening a kinky cable? I know, I know, I should take better care of them so they don't get kinky in the first place. But once the damage is done, is there any way to straighten the kinky little buggers out a little?

2. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    I usually throw it (hold one end) so it's laying across the floor in a straight line then wrap it around my elbow and wrist. That was I have a nice, neat, kink free rolled up cable.

3. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Great way to kill a cable, FYI :)

4. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    Really? I've never heard that. That's the way I (and everyone I know) have always wrapped up a cable. Thanks for the info.

5. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    This is the way every pro sound company teaches their roadies to wrap cables. In Japan, they actually have championships for who can wrap cables in this manner the fastest:

Never pull on or stretch a cable, or make tight/small loops - just make large, loose over/under loops. They last a very long time with no crackling or static if always wrapped correctly. Hope this helps.

6. I sort of twist the cable w/ my thumb and 1st finger until it's found its natural bend . . .

7. Nice video, but does anyone have any way to undo the damage already done? Can a kinky cable be unkinked?

8. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    No. Sorry, but I've never found a solution other than throwing it away and buying a new one :meh:

9. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Simple solution, a wireless system!

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021