Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kirby Puckett Not Doing Well

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Mar 6, 2006.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    This is some sad news: Puckett in critical condition after stroke, surgery. I did not know the man personally, but I am still very sad. He provided many memorable moments for me as a baseball fan in the 80's and 90's. Man, he was fun to watch play. He jacked some long homers out of the Kingdome and hauled down some sure to be homers off the outfield wall.

I hope he comes out of this OK.

-Mike

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    sad news.

i remember him watching play around 13 years ago... when i was about 6, when i first started getting into baseball.

i remember telling my dad that i wanted to be able to play like him.

(but then again, i said that about any center fielder that could slam some homers)

but still, sad news for one of baseball's greats

3. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Yeah... I heard about The Puk earlier this morning out here while watching 'da Cuse lose to 'Nova... I remember him playing some great ball for the Twins... most especially his two World Championships...

...hey, no one ever said life is fair. Far too many times the really crappy stuff seems to happen to those that don't deserve it... and Kirby Puckett is one of those... :(

4. Poor dude. That eye condition quite literally blindsided him, and like so many athletes, he couldn't handle post-sports life.

Peace be with him.

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    He was an absolutely fantastic ball player, & always played hard. He was well respected & liked by his fans, AND his piers. In professional sports, that's far too uncommon these days. The way he left the game was tragic. :(

I still remember the Twin's pounding the Cardinals in '87.

6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    man. i still remember the sports center where they announced his eye condition and that he had to retire. :(

7. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    I would never have thought it would be good to be pesky, or on fire, until Kirby Puckett came along. He taught us it was good to be both, at the same time. Good luck Puck.

8. marthasvinyard

marthasvinyard

Feb 28, 2006
    "There are two main types of stroke. One (ischemic stroke) is caused by blockage of a blood vessel; the other (hemorrhagic stroke) is caused by bleeding. Bleeding strokes have a much higher fatality rate than strokes caused by clots."

Lets hope they got it in time. He is still alive, which is good. No we wait for any apparent brain damage. I had a stroke also, not as serious as his...but scarier that s#$t!!

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Game over for Kirby. :(

-Mike

10. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
  11. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Oops. Make that rest in peace, Mr. P. He was only in his mid-40s. omg that's young.