Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kirk Whalum...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by j-raj, Dec 30, 2003.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I just got back from lunch and sat down at my desk and I saw the jazz sax player Kirk Whalum just walked by my desk with a co worker and his daughter.

I guess he is in town (ATL) and visiting his daughter, who works at the same financial services company that I do....

Small world I tell you...

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I met Kurt at IAJE a few years back - super nice guy, and a great musician to boot. He did a clinic on how to get the most out of 1 hour of practice time. Included with the handout was his home address and phone number, in case anyone wanted to call him up to talk... if that's not accessable, I don't know what is.

3. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Yeah that's pretty accessable for a teacher and clinician. You don't find too often these days.

His Daughter works right upstairs from me in Mutual Fund Trading, she always tells me about how un-musical she is and how uber-musical the rest of her family is.

Her younger brother (Kyle) is an amazing bassist (real young too) that has performed with his father on countless occassions (even featured on a BET special that KW was in) and has toured with Stacie Oricco and gospel artist Nicole Mullen.

You Pac, didn't you live in ATL a while back?

4. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I lived in the ATL from 95 to mid '01. Loved it. Miss it. Did a TON of gigs there....

5. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

I got here from Boston in 2000, there are a ton of gigs here for bass players, especially if you can sing and/or front a band. I gig more here in nearly 4 years than I did up in the 7 years I lived right in the heart of Boston.

I can't remember if Kirk calls ATL his home or if he is from Philly. I know that the popular 'Jazz Flavas' radio station and WCLK tend to advertise his Jazz Cruise every year.

ps (pacman), have you heard of or friends with the following ATL bassists, while you were living here:

Steve Mays
    Earl South
    Gary Wilkins
    John Schwenke
    Jim Lambie
    Charlie Wooton
    Joe Luther
    Matt Stallard
    Tommy Vickery
    Scott Glazer
    Todd Smallie

6. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I know Steve very well (as does John Turner), I think I know Earl. Jim Lambie took my place at the Army band there when I left. Nobody else on that list looks familiar. Check out Russ Rogers if you get a chance - amazing bass player! Also a female bassist named Fuji, and a great guy and smokin bass player named Joe Reda.

7. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Nashville eh? Cool, real fun city...

PM'd you RE: ATL Bassists.

j