Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Kiss" by Prince

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Gorgula, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Gorgula

Gorgula

Oct 16, 2002
    So Cal
    I've seen several people here mention that this song has a great bass line.
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I can't hear any bass in this song at all! :confused: If anything, there is some "synthy" sort of drone thing happening in the low end, but that's about it. The overall texture is very similar to "When Doves Cry" which is also very light in the bass department.

So what am I missing here? Is there some other version with some good bass in it?

Please share with the class!

Thanks

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The point is, do you like the song :)

3. Actually "When Doves Cry" HAS no bass; Prince decided to mute the bass guitar track during mixdown. Same thing for "Kiss." The only thing close to a bassline is one played by the DX7 synth marimba track.

Most of Prince's basslines are simple, yet funky. Prince plays his own basslines in the studio and cites Larry Graham as a major influence. That should tell you something.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Played this in an '80s Top-40 band...great, I'm taking a beer break while the rest of you are stuck on-stage. Was not to be, I hadda play "something".
    I still remember what I played(mimics the drum beat & I hadda "D"-tune).
    l1-----&---------l1-----&-3-&-4---l
    lG-----G---------lG-----G-G-F#-D---l

...much of the later albums include Rhonda Smith; N.E.W.S. is an interesting Prince record. One Night...Alone has both Smith & Graham.
    ;)

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think what you are missing is :

SARCASM!!

So - this has always been a standing joke on TB - especially around the Tabs forum. ;)

So regular members have often satirised the inanity of requests from newbies by saying things like - Plez can you taB Kiss by Price for me - it's awesome!! :D

6. Gorgula

Gorgula

Oct 16, 2002
    So Cal
    Oh man...I knew I should have listened to that voice in my head saying, "maybe you shouldn't post this question"...

...that's funny :D

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Let's all give credit where credit is due! C'mon, what's the origin of the joke?!

:D :D :D

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Was it you, 'Bo?

Lump also had a good one about Kiss' "Beth"....

Hmmmm, "Kiss" & Kiss.

9. I thought sarcasm would be in the form of inquiring about White Stripes bass tabs :)

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

:bag:

:smug:

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

To come right out and say it... THE PRINCE SONG "KISS" HAS NO BASS. So inquiring about thius song's bass tab, same deal.

P.S. I'm pretty sure we've had tab requests for the Seven Nation Army bassline. :meh: :rolleyes:

12. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I made that a joke a lot, mostly in tab requests threads before the Tab forum existed. Nobody ever got the joke, so I finally said something, and it's gone from there. Maybe I can dig up that original thread.

13. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    You have to ask? Every long time TB'er know that is Jazzbo's joke. An you've been registered longer than me. Others have repeated it, but they really should pay royalties to Jazzbo for every laugh they get with that joke.

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...it's because I've been registered longer than you.
    I kan't r3membir evEytHiNG Jazzbo sez...

15. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I played "Kiss" with my happy-fun cover band a few times and I just doubled the keyboard, all slapped. Worked a charm.

With another band, I tried to "emulate" the synth effect by sliding to the A on the 17th fret of the E string, so my line sounded like "woop, woop, woop, woop". I was told it sounded too distracting, though. :D

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Maybe one day when I start saying something worth remembering.

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    True, true.

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    This just in!
    If you watched VH-1 last night(Sunday 3-21-04)...

...we now have a viable bassline for "Kiss"!

The main figure went(IIRC) something like this-
    Rhythm-
    l1_..2_..3_&a4_&_l1_..2_..3_&a4_..l

Putting notes to that-
    lC_..D_..E_GEG_A_lC_..D_..E_GEG...l

...then up to "D", etc
    ;)

BTW, if you dug Prince & band on that RnR IHOF Induction show, the same vibe can be found on his Live At The Aladin, Las Vegas DVD.

19. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I don't know. I like it without bass.

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    As a recording or a video, I agree.
    Played live with a killer band & in front of a big crowd...it worked.
    ;)