1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

KISS really disappointed me today

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Depth_Charge, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Well, they have a point that rock and roll isn't in its best shape...

But they've always had this "We're The Greatest", sellout attitude. It's not really news.

2. thesteve

thesteve

May 28, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    ...zzz...the only reason kids today are into KISS is because of the reputation they made for themselves decades ago. If they tried to break into the market today they likely wouldn't get very far.

3. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I'm trying to think of a time when they weren't disappointing.

4. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    They're the best at marketing,and inciting, I like some of their music, but for me? the Image never matched the music.They were a bar band round these parts ages ago, they're a bar band now, (and I mean no disrespect to bar bands anywhere). As far as "we're not in it for the money"? I'm sure Paul made that statement without Gene's approval. Now...Marilyn Manson? there's an act where the drapes match the carpet!

5. c_joseph_lier

c_joseph_lier

Aug 7, 2007
    Basically, KISS is the marketing band ... they have image and they have had tunes that were pretty rockin ... now, what are they doing these days other than rehashing the same old thing? Not much really ... However, i will agree that there are quite a few disappointments in the world of music today as well ... but, the bottom line here is this ... in today's society, there are enough genres of music, and enough bands within the genre, and enough fans, that no one really goes hungry in the business ... sure, record companies still screw you out of your bucks, but all in all, music is still here, and whether you like the sound of it or not, the bands are here .. for now ... until the Faster, Smarter, Hotter whatever comes along ...

6. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    With Gene's swagger aside, he has a point.

In the mid 1970s KISS raised the bar of rock and roll showmanship to impossibly high levels. By the mid 1980s it was a requisite: all hard rock bands were wearing spandex, had the big hair, the stacks of Marshalls not plugged in, ect.

It's too bad that with Nirvanna and grunge in the early 1990s that shownmanship went right out the window. Gene's opinion is that this is what gave rise to rap / hip-hop: there was no "show" in rock music; kids looked elsewhere for the visuals and found it in rap/hip-hop.

7. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I saw Kiss on the first tour when they had discarded most of the make up. I was quite disappointed that i had missed the type of show they were famous for.
    Im no big fan of Kiss but i think Gene has a point about live shows these days.
    Ive not seen any band in the last 10 or so years really put much effort in to the big shows although The Darkness tried.
    I saw Bon Jovi a few times back when they were topping the charts and was amazed at the show. flying across the audience, capes etc. not the biggest shows but they made the effort.
    Saw them a couple of years ago and it looked like they hadn't even bothered to get changed before going on stage.
    Im sure gene wasnt talking about BJ but its just something i have noted over the years. The bands just get up on stage and play. A lot of them dont even move around the stage. considering the cost of tickets these days we should get more than just looking at a few motionless figures playing something that they probably haven't even needed to put any extra effort into.

IMHO of course.

8. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I agree with Gene. Like em or not Kiss for the most part gave you their moneys worth when they play. I saw them in their prime late 70's and the reunion tour in the 90's with the original lineup and both shows were awsome. I think they are finger pointing to emo bands who stand and strum and walk off and older bands past their prime who play their old hits and do them lazy. Kiss plays all the old hits still in makeup and costumes running and strutting all over the stage. Its not the 70's or even the 80's but for a bunch of old coots they still out rock alot of bands.

9. I think Simmons' point about showmanship is a valid one.

10. Rush still puts on an amazing show.

lowsound

11. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Wow... I'd love to do a show with pyro, impressive lighting, backup dancers, an orchestra, contortionists, jugglers and a live sex act... I really would. However, I wasn't a member of a band who made a rather substantial fortune by primarily pimping their image on t-shirts, mugs, toys, comic books, condoms and caskets. I am merely a 9-5er with modest gear and an even more modest income who plays music and plays shows because it's what I love doing, and have fun doing it. I think a great deal of other people out there, including those who've gained some exposure, are in the same boat. If that bloated, old curmudgeon wants a laser light show, he can cut us all checques.

12. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    But i feel the point he was making is that a lot of bands don't want to do it.
    Lets face it. If it means having to pay for a good show out of your own pocket a lot of bands would rather not bother and make a bit more money.

where is the fun and value for money for the audience in paying a lot of money just to watch a band stand around in jeans and tee shirts. Not much IMHO.

13. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    I don't know man... I go to see bands live because I like the songs, not because I want to see the drummer fly around.

14. But the drummer flying around is definitely a bonus.

The popular, rich bands of contemporary... I don't know what to even call it... put on what basically amounts to fairly pathetic shows because that's what their fans want. I highly doubt the scene kids who breath in their music would respond positively and "feel like they understand" if the bands suddenly put on a pyrotechnic, laser show. Of course, that's partly the band's fault for feeding the monster.

15. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    When did value become the primary concern of art?

KISS's competition is WWE and monster truck pulls.

They are in the business of spectacle, not art.

Always have been, always will be.......... and comments like these are either naive indications that they don't know the difference, or nothing but pure marketing.

16. thesteve

thesteve

May 28, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    great point.

a lot of the new emo/rock/alternative/whatever bands aren't putting on super entertaining shows because they never have. Not every band has a gimmick and not every band needs a gimmick, but if gimmick is their thing, Paul and company can go to an Of Montreal show...or a Flaming Lips show...or a Panic! at the Disco show.

There's still plenty of bands out there that aren't "downloading it". Anyone ever go see the Aquabats? Those guys make KISS look old and boring.

17. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    lol

18. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Insert cool nickname? Nobody's given me one yet. Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    I actually dig a lot of early KISS tunes, but before they even made the stage with their cheap antics, Alice Cooper was the best ringmaster. Even today he puts on a damn cool show. Now there's art!!
    (BTW, use of the phrase 'cheap antics' is only my cheap opinion).

Quotes from that interview did leave me feeling they're a bit full of themselves, but back in the 70s KISS was one of the few bands that knew how to use such antics to get a stadium full of teenagers more riled & rowdy than most bands could only dream of. Also, it is my opinion that they did it for fame, glory and girls --Hmmm... That sounds familiar-- but now they do it for fun?? Well, why not! They've got all that other stuff..

19. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin

just curious, what on earth does this have to do with KISS or the topic at hand :rollno: