Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kiss the Band!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by zack01, Mar 17, 2006.

1. zack01

zack01

Aug 3, 2002
    I have just bought the kiss Dvd called Rock the nation from 2004. How good is really Gene Simmons on the bass?

Paul Stanely have a great rock voice still at his age....and it seems that it is he who are the frontman. He seems to play his guitarr very well...do anyone know how good he is on guitarr?Paul is only the rythm guitarrist?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Here we go.........

-Mike

3. Chris M

Chris M

Oct 23, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    I hear ya MJ.. The can of worms this will open up..:rolleyes:

Gene actually wasn't too bad a bassist before he got rich.. When KISS was still trying to make a name for themselves he came up with some pretty cool counter rhythms to what the guitar was doing. Listen to their first three albums with headphones so you can hear what he's doing.. Especially on songs like 'Cold Gin' and 'Black Diamond'...

Yes, Paul Stanley is the rhythm gutarist. Ace did most of the leads in the makeup days. From then on it was whomever happened to be on the payroll at the time.. He does have a killer voice and he uses it well. Listen to 'I Still Love You' off 'Creatures of the Night' to get a taste of his vocal abilities..

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    With that, morf has been awaken from his slumber. :eek:

This is only the beginning of a wrath so furious, it is destined to destroy the smooth flow of the Friday OT forum.

-Mike

5. KISS, KISS, KISS... What can we say about KISS?

They make no bones themselves about their musicianship and why they formed a band - even they (KISS) say they don't think they were 'really good' musicians - their goal was to put on a spectacular show - in the Glam-Rock vein - which they did in the 70's... Spectacular! As a kid, I LOVED KISS! Had all the records... even the 4 solo albums. I thought they were the best! And I thought Gene was above all in the band as far as cool went. But I did not play bass yet, so I really did not know much about the quality of his playing. Only that I thought his act was amazing! Blood-spitting, fire-breathing... come on... does it get any cooler?

So today I can look back and say that 70's KISS was a spectacular live band. This included, in my opinion, some really appropriate bass parts that were cool, uncomplicated and really added power and punch to their powerfully simply, straight up rock and roll songs. Nothing flashy or technically challenging, but appropriate and perfect for what they were doing.

Then came the 80's, MTV and for some nutty reason the decision to remove the make-up... Oh man... what a mistake... Paul suddenly looked uber-gay (not that there is anything wrong with that...) Gene just looked ugly and mean - and as we all got to know the 'real Gene' the more we got to loathe the real Gene... Self-absorbed, rude, obnoxious, [insert string of ugly adjectives here...]. And the music really sucked! I mean redefined the word, "suck" - Now you look it up in the Funk and Wagnels and you find; suck - (suk) adj. - What KISS did in the 80's.

So, Gene as a bass player? Very forgettable today.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Probably the best post I've ever seen on the topic.

7. Damn... thanks, Cheezewiz! Very nice of you to say.