Kissing Reality's Buttocks!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Well, as some of you know, in April I'll turn.....well, that's not important! Anyway, I had my dream bass, a Warwick Streamer Stage 1 5 in natural with a Basslines setup, but she was heavy. I didn't care, I'd always played heavy basses.....when I was younger! Well after a couple of doctor's visits and the realization that it was taking me about 3 days to recover from each hour + gig with the bass, I had to drop trou and let reality "lay me down in the tall grass so that she could do her stuff", to paraphrase Fleetwood Mac. For health reasons, I had to give up my baby! :bawl: :bawl: I decided that if I'm going to give up my baby, it had better be DAMN well worth it! I ended up getting a Sadowsky MS5. It's much lighter, and I still have the oomph, but I do miss my Stage1 5. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Sadowsky, although I'd rather have a rosewood board, and I plan getting about 2 more in the NEAR future.
    To sum it up: Reality is a turd in the punchbowl of life! :spit:
  2. CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    Man, that sucks. :meh: I can't say that I feel your "pain" with your back and all. I'm glad that I don't have old people problems yet. :p I am just messin with ya man. I am glad that you found another bass(es) to your likeing.

3. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Sorry about your back, but being "forced" to get a Sadowsky ain't all bad! BTW, love your bass, can't wait to hear some new stuff from you guys with you using it.
  4. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    I think the important thing is you can play....on a really nice bass as well! :)
  5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Next thing, you'll be "forced" to give up that Civic for a Lexus!:D Seriously, I'm glad you got a good bass that will save your back.:bassist:
  6. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA

Whaaa you sold my baby without telling me :crying:

I feel your pain, literally. I have been having back issues too.
  7. Man!, your timing is too crazy! I was just in GC today, checking out a chromatic tuner and went over to play a MMStringray to see what all the "hubbub" was about with them and came across a used mid-70's Streamer fretless with a pair of Bartollini's in it that played like butter, sounded like heaven and felt like a dream date!!! If I had $2600, it would be at my house right now!!! Good god!, what a bass!!! Maybe they could make you one with swamp-ash; that's not too bad for the weight, and sounds pretty good, too.

From what I've heard here, though, the Sadowski will do you proud, though. But since I've been bitten by the "Warwick bug", to quote Sean Baumann, "I feel your pain", but for different reasons! I hope in the future you can recoup your loss and at the very least, find a "sit-down" gig to use it on.

Take care!;)
  8. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Yah, and I don't remember it being insane heavy, nothing like the Thumb NT 5 I once had. I still mad you didn't tell me you were selling it! heheh well, not really, but you know what I mean.
  9. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    I never really knew what people were talking about with terrible pain in heavy basses until lately when I've had to use an electric in orchestra and band(mission impossible and wicked). Instead of hauling my modulus around all day(I don't trust leaving it anywhere), I've left my OLP MM3 in the bass room with my upright at school, and everytime I use it by the end up rehearsal I'm looking for a way to hold it off my should and play at the same time, it feels like my shoulder is just going to rip out, and it takes the rest of the day to feel better, and the most we practice is only about and hour! I can't imagine being older, I mean I'm only 17 and it hurts. With that said I try to stay clear of using it for long periods of time. I could jam for hours with my modulus, or my spector, but damn that olp is HEAVY.
  10. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Yeah, being "forced" to play a Sadowsky ain't all bad! :) I do miss that 'Wick though. I've done 2 studio sessions with the Sadowsky so far, and the engineer saw the name on the case and gave me a thumbs up.
  11. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    I know what you mean by the engineer's reaction. I also get the "there's no need to do anything but go direct with this, RIGHT?" all the time.
  12. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Yeah, I've gone direct in both of these sessions.
  13. ...maybe it's time to try one out...:eyebrow:
  14. Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    I'm sorry circumstances forced you to give up your dream instrument. If only we could negotiate with fate.

I'll admit that it is unusual to see "I ended up getting a Sadowsky" and "Reality is a turd in the punchbowl of life" in the same post. Tastes vary and that makes life interesting!
  15. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    LOL! I never thought about that! Believe me, I'm more than happy with the Sadowsky. It's my 2nd one.
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Mid 70's? I don't think so.
  17. Damnit, man, your b-day is two days before mine - the literal day. I don't need no steenkin' reminders :) I hear you though - my back is basically a trainwreck. My knees... we won't go there. I'm aware of every step up and down the stairs when I have haul my Nemesis out for a gig. Comfort Strapp and a sweet Elrick have eased my pain a bit, but still...

That really bites about having to give up your baby for health reasons, but what rocks is that you found an alternative and you keep right on going!
  18. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Woodchuck, I can feel your pain, quite literally. At the end of '97 after many months of misdiagnoses an MRI detected a non-cancerous tumor infiltrating T7, T8, and T9 of my spinal column... at 21 and on top of Cerebral Palsy. I was in surgery three days after on a Sunday, which if you know anything about the medical industry you'll know that it has to be something major for them to pay the "overtime" for a non-weekday procedure.

Aside from some back pain that I've accepted and the ability to forecast the weather (it's raining now - I could have told you that 2 hours ago ;) ) I'm lucky I came out of it with only a few after-effects, but one incident has stuck in my mind ever since. It was about 5 months after (4 of which were 4-day-a-week rehab to relearn to walk as well as rebuild my back muscles) that I got the chance to jam with my occasional prog-rock jamming group. It was also my first time playing "out" with my neck-through multi-lam Ibanez six-string, which mentally helped me recover from the incident but a heavy mistress nonetheless. It was a great 3 hours of trading riffs and leads, standards and jams, and generally wonderful music.

I couldn't lift my right arm above my head for 48 hours after. :help: As much weightwork as I had done, I then realized that I simply couldn't support that bass for that much time without extra help. Enter a Comfort Strapp, which helped immensely over the next several years until I came to the realization that I didn't use my six to it's capabilities enough for it to be my "main player", and I started to play Fives the majority of the time (Btw, I still own, use, and love her greatly for both sentimental as well as actual physical reasons - she's a great tapping/chordal/upper-range instrument).

I suppose the "moral" of this tale is that a change in life causing a change in instruments can be a positive if looked at the right way. Embrace the Sadowsky and it's differences. See what new aspects she can bring to your playing (my switching to fivers primarily has made me a more solid "groover" and much less interested in non-musical upper-range "flights of fancy".

...and I hardly doubt that a change of bass will change you all that much. You're far too much of a groovin' mofo for that. ;)
  19. steve21

steve21 Banned

Hey woodchuck, if it makes you feel better at all, I love your new sig.

And post pics of the Sadowsky!

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Glad to hear the Sadowsky is working well for you.:)