1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

KJUNG!.... what about those DB112's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bino, Aug 25, 2007.

1. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    do tell.

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Hey there!

They arrived a few days ago. I haven't gotten them out on a gig (waiting for the covers so I don't bang them up!), so still don't have a sense as to the volume they will put out in a gig setting. Played solo, they are quite full and loud....so far, so good. I bought these specifically to match up with my Thunderfunk, which is not seeing much work lately since I've been in on the Markbass lovefest.

The DB112's are very high quality... beautiful fit and finish. They are quite large (the 19" by 19" footprint is quite big, although the 14" height makes them relatively easy to lift and carry). Actually the 2 x DB112 stack is not much smaller than the Epi410UL. However, they are unique sounding... plenty of low end, but a very vintage-like mid punch and growl, with a nice, natural top end. The vintage look matches the sort of 'updated vintage' tone IMO. They are a VERY good match with the Thunderfunk... that mid warmth and punch of the TF really fits with the mid present voicing of the DB's.

I would call this rig 'vintage/modern'.... not sizzly or super deep, but very warm, grindy, and articulate. It is a GREAT rig for a vintage J (and I assume P also).

I like it a lot, and visually, it's the coolest stack I've owned.

I wasn't going to post up until I got some hours on them, so this is very preliminary. However, I'm impressed so far.. much more punch and mid punch versus the GS112's, and more burpy and raw than my memory of the Epi112UL's. My guess is that these might be similar to the Epi ceramic line... the PS Series or whatever they are called (based on tone descriptions that others have posted).

The low end and power of both my Walter Woods and Markbass SD800 seemed to overwhelm them a touch, but that's not the heads I plan to use with them anyway. They really are about the mid punch and growl to my ear.

Here they are:

[​IMG][/IMG]

3. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    very cool, Ken! i like the big sound of the GS, but wanted more mids. would you say they remind you of a bagend 15, or do they have more depth? I I'm real interested in trying these out.

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

More depth than the SD15. It's quite a bit different than the GS112... the highs seem much smoother. I don't know if this is due to a different crossover, or if it's just that there is a nicer transition from the mids to the treble in this cab versus the inherent 'smiley face EQ' type voicing that I experienced with the GS112.

Nice cabs... I think they are the same height and width as the GS112, but 1 inch deeper (with rear ports versus the front ports on the GS).

5. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    sounds about perfect for me. you said they're pretty loud too, huh? I'm planning to drive a couple with a 20 year old 800rb.

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I would think that would be a pretty darn good match-up. I always found a little bit of the classic GK800/400 tone in the Thunderfunk... tight, growly, and punchy.. that sort of SS warmth versus tube bloom... not hi fi at all. Hard to describe.

However, since the TF sounds pretty darn good to my ear, I would thing the 800 would also. I don't think these cabs like 'wide or hi fi' sort of voicings, so I think you are probably good with the GK.

They also seem quite efficient, so the 800 could probably drive them pretty well.

7. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Do you think a TFB420 would have enough juice to drive 2 of them or should I consider upgrading to the 550b?

I love my nv425 but I want something smaller /more portable for my TF420 and these may be the ticket. 2 DB112's would look killer in tweed and adding the tweed case of the AG500 (I'm assuming that the tfunk would fit in it) would be a nice finishing touch.

8. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    UHHHOHHH.. i have GAS

9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

They are quite efficient, ao the 420 should do just fine. The tweed versions look killer.

10. rok51

rok51 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Ah, they're so purdy!!! Same color I would go for. Lucky, for me, my GS112s are my sound, though putting the Deltalites in a pair did seem to open up the mids a little. If I were to start over, I almost think I'd still go with the GS series-it is so, me...but then again...I haven't played through the DBs...and my wallet doesn't want me to even try! ;)

11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

It sounds like maybe your modified GS112's move the GS tone a little closer to the DB tone. I'd love to hear those!

12. rok51

rok51 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    If you are ever in the area, I'd love for you to try them out.

Kim

13. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Just a quick update and comment. I continue to be very impressed with the DB112/TF stack.... tight, loud, warm, articulate...everything a speaker should be IMO.

One negative comment at this point. Given the very wide stance of these cabs, they REALLY should have two handles, one one each side, versus the single side handle. That single side handle makes these very cumbersome. Given the size and weight, they really are not 'one handers', and the second handle would IMO make a big difference.

Small deal, but just in case the Aguilar guys are lurking about, this needs to be changed IMO.

14. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark

Definetely +1

15. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I always thought the same about the GS112. I used to carry it from underneath like a big box.

16. blmeier7

blmeier7 Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    I can't wait to get my DB112 in, I just ordered it yesterday based on Ken's description in another thread. I only ordered one and thought I would spend some time A/B'ing it to my GS112 before I get a second. I have always loved the GS112 by itself but have noticed the mids are lacking some in a full band setting.

Also ordered a LMII to see what all the hype is about (and because I needed more power than what my WT300 is putting out). Hopefully all will sound good together with a passive jazz bass.:bassist:

17. 1kinal

1kinal

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    I've also ordered one in classic black and should receive it soon. I can't wait to try it with my Ashdown head and GS212.

18. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

KJung, when you talk of a vintage tone with the DB112's, I can't help but wonder how they compare to the EA Wizzys.

Do you have any comparison between the two?

Thanks,
    LeonD

19. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA

This is why I use a Kart-a-bag! Everybody needs one :)

Edit: But yeah, I agree. My yamaha cabs are like this. One handle on one side, wish it had two.

20. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I would call it more UL112 with those drivers tone wise. The Aguilar tweeter has more sizzle than the Epifani cab though. Think of it as a very open upper mid version of the UL112, and better sounding IMO/IME.