1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

KJungs Heart Rock part duex

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by burk48237, May 4, 2006.

1. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Well as many of you know Mr. Jung purchased a Heart Rock a couple of weeks ago and published a review here on these very pages. But (as every one who went to the Bowlous GTG knows) an amp isn't tested until the Burk man puts it thru it's paces LOUDLY!:D Mikebass was going to show but both of these amps were over mikes 8 lb. weight limit for an amp head! For our test we had a Thunderfunk with a new Schroder 1210L cab and a Heartrock thru an Epiphani 410UL. The basses used were Kens Celinder with Stainless round, My Sadowsky NYC with Bright Nickels and Kens MTD 535. The Scotch was Maccallen 12. And now the results.

The Heartrock w/ the Epiphani: Thru the Sadowsky this combo sounded good, very clean with lots of headroom. Finger-style the tone was "livable", to my ears this combo didn't work slapping at all. I personally would not want to own this combo with my Sadowsky for the "top 40" type R & B gigs I play. With the Celinders exaggerated Top end this combo sounded more "gritty" and would probably work better. The MTD brought out the best of this combo, think Richard Bono or Jimmy Hislips VERY clean BIG sound. Pretty cool combo for a Jazz or fusion gig.

The Heartrock w/ the Schroder. First I'm not a huge fan of schroders sound, I think they lack a "roundness" in the bottom end IMHO. But I liked this combo better overall. The Schroders exaggerated low mids added punch w/out bottom to the Heartrock. The Celinder sounded aggressive and fairly Marcus like with this rig although the bottom was still clean. The Sadowsky sounded very "even" and the extra grit of the Schroder and low end punch of the Sadowsky made for a very big sound. You would have no problem laying the foundation at any reasonable sized gig with this rig.

The Thunderfunk w/ the Schroder. Ken said if he had to chose he would still chose this rig and I agree wholeheartedly! The Celinder sounded like a funkmonster with this rig EVEN with me playing! Ken remarked that my playing sounded better, nope, it was the rig! The Sadowsky rocked with this combo. It sounded very cool slapping and the finger-style tone was most excellent. The rear pickup Jaco "burp" was there!

Conclusions: The Heartrock is kinda off a cleaner DB750 (Agullar) with unlimited headroom and a very even sound. It didn't have the blooming low end of the aggie, to me a good thing, but it lacks the grittiness of the aggie, to me a bad thing. The MTD with the Heartrock/Epiphani would be a killer combo for a player who plays a lot of chords and solos a lot. But for a meat and potatoes gigging musician the Thunderfunk/Schroder (Jorge got it much closer with this cab!) with either a Sadowsky or Celinder is a KILLER RIG at about 70 lbs. total for the amp.

Here's a shot of the setup and one of Ken enjoying a REAL man's bass!

Attached Files:

2. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Here's another shot of me with Kens MTD, a most excellent instrument. Pictures do not do justice to the top!

Attached Files:

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Very interesting!!!

Thanks for the report.

Just to hopefully clarify, isn't that a 21012L cab instead of a 1210L?

4. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    It might be, I'm sure Ken will clarify. The scotch clouded the numbers part!:D But it was the best Schroder I've ever heard.

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Hey! I'm back in town. Thanks for posting this Steve.

Yes, the cab is a 21012L, and it's a very cool one. As always, it was a great hang. As awesome as the Glock is, it makes me appreciate the 1/3 the weight 1/2 the cost Thunderfunk even more.... just an amazing amp IMO.

6. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    From here, it sound like there will soon be a Heart rock for sale on TB.
    ;)
    To each is own, I still think that my Glock. is killing both for fingerstyle or slap but I use a Glock cab.
    Anyway, we have so much choice now days that it's great that anyone can find his own sound and preferences.
    :)

Sheers

7. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    And I just forgot somehting about the price of the Heart rock. It is so expensive because of exchange rate, transport coasts from Europe...

Here in Europe, the Glock Heart rock is in the same price range as :
    Epi UL502
    EBS TD650 (HR is even cheaper than this one)
    Eden WT550
    SWR sm500
    Or TF 550 with shipping and import taxes
    which is about 1500/1600 € which is great compared to the 2500 € of an Aguilar db750 for instance.
    ;)

It feels great to be an European sometimes !
    :)

Sheers

8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Not for sale yet! I haven't gotten to really open it up yet, and impressions 'in the basement' can be very misleading versus what it does on the gig.

I do find the high end very, very clean and 'hi fi' sounding.. which sounds great with a modern bass like an MTD, but seems a little mismatched to me with a more 'Fender-style' instrument.

However, it has such a pure, clean voice that you can't help but like it. I'll have it on a few gigs coming up soon, and that will tell the story!

9. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    What about the DB750 with glock cabs, that would be interesting...anyone tried it?

10. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Ken, I'm waiting for the gigs test.
    ;)

Sheers

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Believe me, with Tom Bowlus in the same general area as Ken, this amp will NEVER hit the open market. :)

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'll try to get to that at some point. Maybe this weekend.

Thanks for the review, Steve and Ken! Very intriguing. :)

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Burke, since you are such a Sadowsky man, I hope you didn't get MTD cooties!

14. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Nope, Allthough I apreciate Mr. Michaels workmanship, if my loto numbers came in I'd probably buy about 4 more of Rogers bases before I'd shop for anything else. With extensive much needed bass lesons! Most of the multi laminate spatted burled egyptian madagascar koa pieces just don't fit the material I do. I must admit that Vics Roscoe had me thinking for about 30 seconds at the Bowlous GTG. Then I did another shot of Maccallen 18 and a great reality set in.;)

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Fixed it for ya Steve :)

16. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Thanks for the review.

Your avatar is missed.

Marshall

17. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    It will be back, I'm in "waiting for payment to clear paypal account limbo":cool:

18. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Nah, that's just cause you put the Roscoe down and were too drunk to remember... ;)

19. Looks like fun. I want those cabs.

20. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Yeah, I was just thinking "We got another guy named burk48237 in here somewhere.

On a more serious note, you, cheezwiz and munjibunga's avatars remind me of that old Aerosmith tune, "Dude looks like a lady..."

:bag: