1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

KK PRE /EQ

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by neroantico, Feb 28, 2008.

1. neroantico

neroantico

Jan 23, 2004
    italy, milan
    Dear Friends,
    Just a simple question. I'm using a double bass system (with the dedicated stereo pre amp). Do you know if the trims inside might cut freq also or simply adjust eq adding freq?

Thank you for your time.

Giovanni

2. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I could be wrong, but I think the two K&K preamps that I owned allowed you to cut or boost each setting.

3. Hi Giovanni.
    You can get the users manuals in PDF form from K&K's website.
    Maybe even on Bob G's site. (not sure though)

4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I am quite confident that they apply cut and boost.

5. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Sho' 'nuff, looks like -/+ 20dB.

6. Studiodawg

Studiodawg

Oct 25, 2007
    There are 3 EQ frequencies per channel plus a gain for each. I have recently dialed my preamp in via these little knobs (potentiometers) inside my K&K rockabilly preamp.

7. Actually there are 3 versions of the RAB+ preamp.

1) Oldest version one output jack, each channel has bass/treble (2 band)

2) Newer two output jacks, one side has 3 band (bass/mid/treble), other side has 2 band EQ

3) Newest version two output jacks, both sides have three band EQ

8. neroantico

neroantico

Jan 23, 2004
    italy, milan
    thank you all.
    I dowloaded a pdf manual @ KK
    Now i have to learn how to use/fine tuning.

Short story: standard gear Doublebassmax, focus1,eden cxc 10.
    Focus has a problem and is under tec.control.
    I sub the focus with SWR 350.
    I usually run the focus without pre due to a high impedance input, even a mono signal is ok.
    With SWR i found input signal to be more extreme: very sensitive to left or right wing use of pick up and in any case weak and boomy.

Ugly as Mike Myers for the incoming gig in an important venue in Milan i've been forced to use a pre. In fear of adding plastic tone i turned everything in KK to 0 and used the gain only, impedence matched for both wings signal, survival sound by my amp and sent to PA. Good gig.

How should i go for set my sound? Do i have to set everything to -20db and gradually dial in my freq or seek for internal 0 first (of course swr flat)?

I trust in your experience, thank you

Giovanni

9. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I would start w/ a flat EQ or seek internal 0 first as you said. I imagine that means the EQ dials should be halfway between their min and max.

Sometimes the EQ on the amp can give you flavors you can't get with the EQ in the preamp. You shouldn't feel restricted to leaving the EQ on the SWR flat. Use the EQ in the pre or the SWR or both.

That said, I always run everything flat (except for a high pass filter), so I shouldn't be giving too much advice. :oops: