Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

KL Chamberbrace 7!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mark beem, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Wow that is beautiful. I don't know what I'd do with it, but I want it!

2. tiefling

tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
    thats the second scariest KL I've seen...this being the first:

[​IMG]

3. I really love how the bridge on the KL's comes out like a Carl Thompson, it's a cool touch.

4. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Ken's attention to detail is nothing short of amazing and this bass lives up to that reputation.

It may seem like a simple thing to others, but aesthetically this is the nicest and most ballanced 7 string headstock I can remember ever seeing.
    [​IMG]

{edit - Except after posting that I noticed the Truss Rod Cover, Scratch ballanced, but I still like it. Straight string pulls Pwns all}

5. If that were a 5 or 6, I'd own it. I've always wanted a Chamberbrace.

The truss rod cover bothers me, though. Makes me wonder if it were a mistake, although I doubt it was.

6. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...definetly diferent...but, i'm not diggin' the lack of relief/access in the higher fret/lower horn area. Should be deeper, especially with the fanned frets & being a 7 string, chords & accessability/ease of playing is a must...

~S~

7. And a deal at 7k!!!! I mean it is great looking and all, but who can afford a bass like that? And I agree his headstocks are wonderfully balanced, always reminds me of a squid. :)
    Dirk

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Beautiful. I love his wooden, yet 3-way-adjustable bridges. And that warm burst really looks nice with the wood.

AFAIK, KL always puts his truss rods off center to the treble side. One would assume this is because the string tensions are greater on that side of the neck (which they are). Pretty smart.

9. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    They look parallell to me.

Piezo too it looks like.

Hmmm, I've drooled over a lot of KLs (on my PC screen) in the past few years and I can't say as I ever notices that. Strange. (Me not noticing)

10. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    About a year ago someone brought it up regarding a six stringer. I did a spreadsheet and found that the truss rod was about at the "center" of the string tension distribution.

11. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    @Lajoie T,

I was referring to the other bass pictured. Guess I shoulda been clearer...

~S~

BTW: The "other" bass is fanned...

12. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    A semi-hollow ERB with freaky holes? Mark, it's calling your name.

13. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I really dig it!!

[​IMG]

But at 7000 frog skins I think I'm gonna have to be satisfied playing this beauty only in my dreams...

;)

14. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Well of course the Joust bass is fanned. You wouldn't want Jean to have something that looked "normal" now would you.

{insert Hideous Claw Photo Here, Oh right, nobody's seen too much more than the headstock and some shadows...}

15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I have...

But I'm sworn to secrecy..

;)

16. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag:

the bridge on joust will be similar to this one (without the piezo though). It's also more diaganol to match the fan. My pickup covers are also half-sapwood, though the wood is the top (braz. rosewood) and not the bridge/fretboard (katalox).

17. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    nah, I mean, I dig KL's bodies and such, but I'm not that a fan of the headstock :(

Not digging the contrast between the fingerboard and that reddish body too.... :bag:

but everything else looks cool :D

18. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Sorry to hijack for a moment but, Jean what the hell is the Hideous Claw (a bass being made for you by who?) I keep hearing about it but never ever seen anything about it and I'm quite intrigued.

19. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    After seeing Ken had done fanned frets for Jean it solidified my choice for saving to have him make me a six string chamberbrase. This one is soooooooooo beautiful!