1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Klaus Flouride's Jazz Bass Lost/Stolen in Brazil

Discussion in 'Lost & Stolen Gear' started by Stev187, May 21, 2013.

1. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club!

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    I'm re-posting this from the Bass Player Mag facebook feed. I searched to see if it had been posted here yet; mods feel free to delete if it's already up, but I could not find it. I've always loved seeing this bass in photos. What a drag!

[​IMG]

Hello Friends,

My name is Geoffrey Lyall although i'm better known as Klaus Flouride of the band Dead Kennedys. Please read what I hope is an understandable translation in Portugese below.
    In April we played 4 shows in Brazil. We played in Curitaba, Americana, a festival in Recife, and Sao Paulo. We loved playing for the fans there. Brazilian fans are the among the best in the world.
    During our stay there we used exclusively TAM Airlines. Unfortunately they handled our luggage in a very unfortunate way, causing us to have to use borrowed equipment from the band Fang (who we were traveling with) and the other bands in the some of the venues. This is becaus TAM lost our guitars and luggage continually. We had one night with our own guitars. And then it happened. They Lost both East Bay Ray's guitars and my bass that I've had for 40 years and played nearly every Dead Kennedy's show with since 1978. They now seem to be "lost" for good or somehow stolen from TAM's baggage system. Here are pictures of my bass and I'll soon have pictures of East Bay Ray's double guitar case and guitars on later posts.

If anyone reading this can give us any help please write or message us at:
    https://www.facebook.com/deadkennedys

https://www.facebook.com/klausflouride

http://www.klausflouride.com/

We will Check everyday. There will be a reward offerd, no questions asked, for the return of any of these instruments.

Thank you all for you good wishes and help.

Klaus Flouride for Dead Kennedys.

2. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Those guys are pals of mine, and this is a major bummer. It's an iconic bass. Irreplaceable.
    Please keep on the lookout for it, bass friends. It would be hard to miss!

3. This made me sick to my stomach...

40 YEARS!

If I'm gutted, I can't even imagine how Flouride feels. I wonder if the idgits who have the bass even know what they have. A refin makes me shudder.

Wishing him and Ray a speedy recovery of their gear.

4. Wow, that really sucks!!! I keep seeing more and more about items going missing or being stolen from airports as well as other shipping venues such as USPS, UPS, etc..

But a sad day for sure when these icon of a bass goes missing! Hopefully it will surface somewhere and it is returned!!

5. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Such suck! I hope they recover their gear and thieves, who become the subjects of Egyptian style justice.

6. Stev187

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    If you've never seen these videos, check them out because they are cool. Here's Klaus' Jazz in action cutting the classic DKs tracks:

http://youtu.be/zzBU0pwPalc

Again, such a bummer.

--Steve

7. Timmah

Timmah Supporting Member

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    Man, forty years and then this? Best of luck to Klaus/Mr. Lyall, hope he gets it back. It must be like losing a best friend.

8. Aw crap. This sucks. Hate to say it but, never check ANYTHING you can't afford to lose.

9. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Damn, that's awful! Best of luck to Klaus, I've always loved his tone and that bass.

10. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    from the picture it looks like someone stole their singer too! ;-)

11. Stev187

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
  12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    AWWW Man! love DK and that bass is one of my fav's. Good luck and hope it gets home Ray's stuff too.

13. ialma

ialma Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2006
    South Italy
    I grew up listening to DK and often looking at an amazing show in Frisco. (MTV get off the hands). He used to play that amazing J bass, blue with matching headstock.
    I would be annihilated if anything like that happened to my bass :(

14. JFOC

JFOC

Oct 23, 2010
    new hampShire
    ugh, that actually made me feel queasy. 40 years...

15. Well, who ever the dick is currently in possession of this bass—has some seriously bad karma on their hands...

I hope Klaus gets it back.

16. Possibly the worst part is that the thief, once knowing what he's got, will have to simply dispose of it. It's not like he could sell it. It would be like trying to sell the Mona Lisa.
    Hopefully the thief just leaves it in or near the airport and the cops find it.

17. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    How does this not have more posts? I'm not a Dead Kennedys fan in any way, but this is simply terrible! 40 years with a bass to have it go missing? could you imagine the sentimental value of that bass to him? I truly feel bad for Klaus, and although it's very unlikely I hope he gets his bass back. What a terrible situation. My heart bleeds for his guy :(

And although I know it's irreplaceable since he's most likely part of who is he (40 f***ing years!, it'd be like losing part of the family, this ain't just a chunk of wood) maybe he'll look into a new Lake Placid Blue AVRI '64 Jazz? (also has a matching headstock). I can't imagine how he feels :( I think I might lose sleep over this tonight. I find this quite upsetting.

18. Stev187

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
  19. The Jazz has been built. I am to lazy to import the photos from FB to here, you need to be logged into FB to see them.

It looks great but no stickers have been added yet and no Fender logo, both details I hope it gets. Its a shame he wasnt using a reproduction and just the original for less risky tours and recordings, but whats the point of owning it if you dont play it.

https://www.facebook.com/SchroomCustomGuitarWorksLlc/photos_stream

20. Ugh, just hearing about this. Love the bass, bassist, and band. :(