1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Klaus Stoll DVD!

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by Rob Sleeper, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Rob Sleeper

Rob Sleeper

Oct 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Hey everyone,

Klaus Stoll (Berlin Phil principle) has a DVD out for sale! He talks about the bow strokes, auditions etc. Stoll also plays excerpts and solos asked by major orchestras.

http://klausstoll.com/german_dvd.htm

Awesome stuff!

2. quenoil

quenoil

Jan 20, 2007
    Minnesota
    I can't wait to get my hands on this...!

3. Verth

Verth

Jul 28, 2007
    la Jonquera,Spain
    musician/luthier
    Although Maestro Stoll is certainly a celebrity....I wouldn't recomend this DVD.

It has....dubious examples:meh:

4. quenoil

quenoil

Jan 20, 2007
    Minnesota
    Dubious in what way?

5. Verth

Verth

Jul 28, 2007
    la Jonquera,Spain
    musician/luthier
    Well...

You could get a sneek preview here:

www.xbass.org

I'm not sure that ,if your dream is to get an orchesral job, this kind of playing is going to do it for ya....

6. Rob Sleeper

Rob Sleeper

Oct 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Does anyone know what piece he's playing after the phrase "Audition Programs" disappears?

Thanks

7. Verth

Verth

Jul 28, 2007
    la Jonquera,Spain
    musician/luthier
  8. jdapodaca

jdapodaca

May 25, 2006
    El Paso, Texas
    I don't think it's quite fair for you to try and turn people off of this DVD. It seems like a great opportunity to see the Principal of a prestigious orchestra play the excerpts the way he played them to win his job.

Rob, I don't see an "add to cart" link or anything around the page. Am I missing something?

9. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Stoll doesn't sound bad at all to my ears. If I was ever worried about a bass section having something to offer the orchestra for just about any classical piece, I would certainly not be so with Stoll there covering the basses.

It's pretty neat to see his German bow spiccato too. :bassist:

10. Rob Sleeper

Rob Sleeper

Oct 13, 2005
    Chicago
    I think Klaus Stoll is only selling it throught NBB records

http://www.nbbrecords.com/eng/index.htm

Yes, I don't think Stoll sounds bad either. He obviously wouldn't have made principle if the Berlin Phil didn't like his playing. (only appointed 1st chair since the early 90's) His bow stroke that he uses on the Berlioz is one of the best I have ever heard.

Rob

11. Verth

Verth

Jul 28, 2007
    la Jonquera,Spain
    musician/luthier
    :( Geez sorry. It was only my opinion. Besides, I didn't say "bad" I said "dubious". At least for me there's a difference. In any case, I'm only a beginner at this.

Have a nice day.

12. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Hello Verth it's clear you are expressing reservations in offering Mr. Stoll as a model for orchestral bass playing. If you are willing, I'd be interested in hearing why.

Is it because he is so animated when he plays?

13. Rob Sleeper

Rob Sleeper

Oct 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Hi Johnny,

Why do you think that Klaus Stoll plays so animated?

14. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Hi Rob,

I'm not sure, exactly. It's funny you ask, as I admit I did think about what I wrote and wondered why I offered that to Verth rather than something else to pick his brain (like maybe some tasty chips and cheese dip or something) before I came back to see replies.

I guess maybe I'm just used to the angled-endpin way of standing, where you really don't have to do a whole lot of moving, body-wise and bass-wise, to get around the fingerboard.

Not trying to say anything bad because, as I said, Mr. Stoll displays nothing less than quality experience and skill to my eyes and ears, and again I really like his spiccato. Check out how he manuevers the bow into a perfect perpendicular shape across the string when he bounces the bow to ensure it grabs...it's awesome!

15. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    What I can't understand is why he doesn't keep the bow perpendicular when doing other strokes. It's bad form, strictly from the perspective of the physics involved, to deviate from perpendicular to the string any more than needed.

He's a better player than I'll ever be, but physics is physics...

16. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    It's cool though to get to see his style though and the tones he evokes with the way he uses the bow.

I've seen quite a few players use the bow to evoke flanger-type tones and stuff. The bow is awesome. Physics is physics, but art is art too.

oops I don't mean to say people shouldn't think and judge and feel what one feels...even if it's not to one's liking. We all deserve to have our own personal tastes and feelings.

17. jdapodaca

jdapodaca

May 25, 2006
    El Paso, Texas
    That's interesting to me.

How much is needed?

18. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    None is needed, but nobody can be that accurate all of the time. Consider the following: moving the bow in any direction not completely perpendicular to the strings is not translating all bow motion into string motion since the strings have a constrained elliptical vibration pattern. When the bow is perfectly perpendicular, all the bow's movement is used to move the string (within the limits of the grip of your hair/rosin of course). Vectors do a great job of demonstrating this mathematically.

When you bow at an angle like that, some of the bow's energy attempts to move the string in a way it doesn't want to go, which results in lost tone and/or generation of extraneous noise.

Since we don't always want maximum energy going into the string, you can either slow down the bow speed or tilt the stick to remove some hair from the string. Both reduce the total energy transferred, rather than redirecting it to making strange sounds.

I think it's worth saying again, Stoll is more of a player than I'll ever be but I think it can be advantageous to step outside of the whole "music as art" thing and look at technique objectively in order to get the most out of our instruments and our bodies.

19. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I totally agree. I think even artists can find advantage in exercising this option without losing themselves.

But if Mr. Stoll didn't change a thing, I'd still be happy having him in my corner.

20. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Agreed on all of the above! He sounds great but I don't think it'd be good for those who are up and coming (does he teach?) to take his style and emulate it. Once you're as good as he is you can get away with a lot that most of us can't :)