1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Klaus Voorman Unsung Hero of the Pbass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 77PBass, Jan 26, 2012.

1. 77PBass

77PBass Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    nyc
    I am watching Concert for Bangladesh and his bass parts are amazing. He also played of Lennon's solo records. Old pbass + foam = nirvana!

2. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Yeah, I loved Klaus's playing at the Bangladesh concert. One of my favorite parts was his rollicking bass line while Billy Preston was singing "That's The Way God Planned It". It built up from a slow start to a rockin' crescendo. I still love playing that line!

Plus, every time I've seen him doing interviews, he always comes across as a genuinely nice guy.

3. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Love him. Now THAT is a classic pbass tone!

4. barrybass33

barrybass33 Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2008
    westchester new york.
    Great tone at of that bass..

5. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Moved to Bassists.

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Wonderful player! Didn't he also do the artwork for the Beatles' Revolver Album? Quite a talent.

edit: To the OP.... tuck and roll, baby!

7. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    If you haven't seen the "All You Need is Klaus" documentary, it's quite entertaining. Set your DVR as it usually pops up on the Smithsonian Channel from time to time.

All You Need is Klaus - Smithsonian Channel

8. jasper76

jasper76

Mar 24, 2011
    I love his tone on Lennon's Plastic Ono Band album. And so much taste. One of my bass heros.

9. His intro to Carly Simon's "You're so Vain" is pretty iconic, too.

10. mogpipe

mogpipe

Apr 22, 2011
    Mondo respect for Klaus here! He was in the beatles lives as far back as thier days in Hamburg. Was also John's 'go to' bassist during his solo career.

11. burnunit

burnunit obsolete

Nov 17, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    What a great bassist - love his work.

12. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    You want to touch the Klaus bass, don't you?

Attached Files:

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Definitely...also the Anthology collections, too (IIRC).

14. I found the concert for Bangladesh to be pretty uneven, but I really liked Klaus' bass work.

15. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I thought that was part of it's charm. It was a great collection of talent that didn't normally work with each other. I loved that concert.

George wasn't even sure whether Dylan was gonna' go onstage. He wasn't feeling comfortable about it for some reason. When George saw Dylan standing just offstage, he quickly introduced him before he had a chance to change his mind. Clapton didn't show up until not long before the concert itself. Then he just went out there and nailed all his guitar parts, as usual...

16. Cairobill

Cairobill

Dec 15, 2003
    London
  17. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, it vacillates from totally awesome to pretty friggin' great. When a surprise appearance from Dylan is the lull in your concert, you're doing pretty good.

18. tomshad

tomshad

Feb 15, 2007
    Noone mentioned elton john's "whatever gets you through the night" which voorman destroys on bass

19. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    That's actually not Elton's record, it was John Lennon's first solo #1 single. But it is definitely a great bass line from Klaus.

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I agree with you. This Concert was a huge deal, a major event...for both Harrison & Clapton.
    "Uneven"? OK...I definitely perfer this over some of the Broadway/picture-perfect concerts I've attended.

I saw this in the theatre (I guess in the Summer of 1972)...a friend & me stumbled into a beachfront movie house for a matinee showing...we were the only 2 people in there!
    The entire segment with Shankar was muted. I assumed it was the film...later, I figured out it was propbably the projectionist's doing-
    a)He wanted us out
    b)He had heard enough sitar already
    c)Or both
    (Honestly, at that time, I would not have appreciated Shankar as an opening act; a later viewing in life...his group kicked major ass).