Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Klaus Voorman

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by zack01, Aug 29, 2002.

1. zack01

zack01

Aug 3, 2002
    My spelling might be wrong but no one is mention him???? I have heard that he played with Lennon,Harrison and starr. When is he going to play with Mccartney??

2. Isn't he the one who also designed the cover to "Revolver?"

3. He played with George on All Things Must Pass.

He played with Ringo on at least one track--"I'm The Greatest" off the Ringo album, the closest thing to a Beatles reunion we had. John was on piano and harmonies, George on guitar, Ringo on drums and lead vocals. Even Billy Preston on organ. In fact, this track led to a lot of speculation regarding a reformed Beatles, with Voorman replacing Paul.

Voorman was also in the German group Trio, who gave us that "Da Da Da" song (heard in a VW commerical about 6 years ago).

4. zack01

zack01

Aug 3, 2002
    And what i know i played in a band called Manfred Mann and he also played with BB king.

I thought you bass fans knew about him.....

5. Voorman's credited with bass on Lou Reed's Transformer album, together with Herbie Flowers.

I think Voorman played on "satellite of love" and "vicious" - the style is different.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hey Ed-
    McCartney usually tags along with a guitarist that also plays bass.
    Years ago, in Wings, it was Denny Laine.
    More recently, Hamish Stuart(of AWB fame) played in McCartney's band.
    Both Laine & Stuart would play bass whenever McCartney played piano or guitar.

Voorman is an artist; I believe the Anthology series cd covers are his work.

7. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Wow! I'm very pleasantly surprised to see a discussion of him here. Usually, Klaus in relegated to being a mere footnote in the Beatles' Hamburg years, when he's actually done a bunch of stuff since. He was initially a graphic designer witha particular interest in album art. He did, indeed, do the Revolver cover as well as all three Anthology CDs. His first gig as a musician was a band called Paddy, Klaus and Ginson which, I think, contained a member of a band dfrom Liverpool called the Big 3 (who were apparantly a giant band on the L'Pool beat scene). Then he played with Manfred Mann's Earth Band.

I've always counted him as an influence simply because he played on some of my favorite albums (those first two Lennon solo albums are Godlike). His playing is solid and basic- which I think is key to his work on those very minimalistic Lennon albums. He got a great tone and was quite good on the All Things Must pass album and on the Bangla Desh concert album.