Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Klein Bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eunchang, Aug 4, 2004.

1. eunchang

eunchang

May 12, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    I've seen and heard Klein guitars quite often. Unique design, lightweight and beatiful sound...sounds like a bassist's dream :D

Today I found that they actually build basses too. Did anybody try their basses? Or is their any luthier manufacturer making similar design? I am not just talking about in the headless design so please don't mention Steinberger.

I am talking about their overall design concept(greater neck angle similar to classical technique, body shape, light weight and all). Gary Willis also mentioned about holding bass similar to classical guitar posture(am I explaining well enough here?? :rollno: ), and I think it makes a great sense. I also tend to lift up neck a bit so it creats like 45 degree angle between neck and the horizon.

I may consider building a custom bass but I don't know..I got Nordie NJ4 about 2,3 months ago.. ;)

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The earliest Klein basses had necks and bridges supplied to them by Steinberger. I believe they currently get their necks from Moses.

They are of course pretty darn expensive and I have never seen on in the flesh, I doubt very many have been built.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    A tangent, but the big, nonergonomic Taylor bass guitar was designed by Klein as well.

4. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I think Mick Karn may have used them for a while - along with his Wal fretless.

5. eunchang

eunchang

May 12, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    thanks everybody for inputs.

I think it will be better to paraphrase my main concern here(my poor english.. :( ).

When I play standing, I(and I believe many of us) hold a bass neck, say, 45 degree from the floor. However, when I practice(mostly seated) both of my basses balance on my lap creating less neck-floor angle(are you with me?? :( ). Not because they have heavy headstocks but the shape of lower horn I guess.

I feel that this cause a little bit of tension on my right wrist and affect my plucking. I want to keep my right hand wrist as straigt as possible . And I thought like, if their is a bass designed close to Kein guitar it may help. However, a Klein bass from their website didn't look good to my eye though. :D

6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Ed Roman sells kit basses in that style... Let the buyer beware however.. Mr. Roman isn't a choir boy from what I've heard.

http://www.edromanguitars.com

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If you wear a strap while sitting and can adjust it to get the neck angle the way you like it you could use any bass.

I have seen one player move the strap button from the upper horn to the lower horn to accomplish this. You could experiment using some string to attach the strap to the lower horn just to see how the neck angle is before drilling a hole for a strap button. Cheaper than spending $$$$$$$$$ on a Klein!!!

BTW the original Steinberger L and XL basses came with a weird banana shaped thing mounted to a pivot on the back that the strap attached to, this allows holding the bass neck at ANY angle without adjusting the strap! All other Steinies have traditional strap buttons instead.

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Solving your problem is very easy. When you sit be sure to rest the bass on your left leg instead of your right (if you're a righty). This will put the bass between your two legs. This is how classical guitar players play. It allows your right leg to help support the back of your instrumet while you're angling the neck. It will feel a bit different but it'll give you the result you're looking for.

9. eunchang

eunchang

May 12, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    I see your point - which is a Gary Willis concept. Yes I tried that way too. But in that case the problem is it makes a bit too far to reach out for lower position. Also large part of bass body touches my chest which felt a bit uncomfortable. It defenitely helped my right hand plucking though. However it made me pluck too close to the bridge so there are cons and pros.

Here I am dealing with very subtle differences between standing and sitting poistion. I can still play well enough without changing strap length or anything. But my goal is achieving exact same posture and hand shapes(if possible) between practice and performance.

Also I am not saying that I am going to drop 2,3 grands just to see how the Klein bass feels like. I agree on their design concept on their guitars so what if a bass carries on the same concept?? I guess not many of us use their basses. Maybe we tend to adjust ourselves to the "classic design" like Fender jazz..