1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Klein jazz bass pickups: how did they sound to you?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Snaxster, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    If you ever played Klein jazz bass pickups, or you ever heard them played, please post here to say what you thought of them.

To be clear: I know that period authenticity is the value proposition for Klein pickups. My interest is in firsthand accounts of their sound and feel.

Thank you!

Snaxster

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I can tell you that a set of Klein S-5 Strat pickups were the best sounding set of single coils I have ever heard in a Strat. I haven't got any experience with their bass pickups.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  3. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Thank you, Hopkins. I wouldn't doubt that all Klein pickups are very good.

The only player comments about Klein bass pickups I ever read were two TB posts by guys who compared Klein P bass pickups very favorably to those in their own pre-CBS Precision Basses. The most authentic they had heard, they said enthusiastically.

I expected not to get any firsthand accounts. :)

Obviously, I guess, I'm trying not to spend double what my current favorite jazz bass pickups cost before hearing any testimonials.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  4. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    UPDATE: Someday I will try a set of Klein jazz bass pickups, I'm sure. But now I will start with a P/J set. Incoming...

KP-1207 1959 Epic Series Precision Bass Pickup

KP-1209 1962 Epic Series Jazz Bass Pickup - Bridge​

If you are wondering why I didn't choose a 1962 style P pickup for this set: My decision to buy hinged on the P pickup. Since I knew it was one of the 1950s style models I wanted, matching the 1962 style P pickup with the 1962 style J pickup was not an option. I predict that these two will play together well enough.

The fact that I don't have a bass to put these pickups in did not stop me from ordering them. I see either a router or a new bass in my near future. ;) After I have these Klein pickups installed, I will post a review on them.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  5. bassvirtuoso

bassvirtuoso My God, it's full of chrome! Gold Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Nebraska
    I'm very interested in your reviews of each, loved your review for the Dawgtown pickups too.

6. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello, and thank you. I wondered if anyone would read the reviews. :)

The Dawgtown pickups are still impressing me as much as they did at first. Another set is on the way.

My next reviews should be of two sets of single coil jazz bass pickups:
    • Custom OC Duff alnico V
    • Custom Bullock alnico II
    All I need is the time to install them!

Then there will be a set that's already installed:
    • Flying Mojo "60s" type

Pbassmanca likes this.
  7. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    UPDATE: The Klein P/J pickups pair arrived (Now I am calling them a "pair" instead of a "set", since they were not in phase with each other and needed the P pickup leads swapped to compensate.) To install them in, I acquired a 42-year-old Precision Bass that was routed for a J bridge pickup.

Those new Klein pickups in that old Fender bass guitar sound fantastic (I am grimacing while saying "fantastic", is how good they sound). So I just ordered a jazz bass pickups set. Incoming...

KP-1209 1962 Epic Series Jazz Bass Pickup Set​

Stay tuned for reviews.

8. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2008
    DFW
    Interested in feedback on the J set

9. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello. Me, too! When the set arrives and I get it installed, I will start a new review thread for them. I'll review the P/J pair first, though; probably within the next few days.

Pbassmanca and invalidprotocol like this.
  10. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

Hi, I was reading your post about the klein PJ pickups and jazz bass set you ordered. How did they all turn out? I have been interested in the klein pickups for a while and have been considering ordering some for a couple of my basses.

11. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello. A while back, I posted a review of the Klein P/J pair I ordered. Later on I posted about that Klein J bridge pickup helped me complete that same bass with a Lollar split coil P pickup.

Some weeks ago from now, I tried my Klein Epic 1959 P pickup in another bass, to decide if it should be used in a high end bass I ordered. The Klein P made the cut, and I should have that bass in a couple of weeks. When I'm back from work tonight, I will post here with my later impressions of the Klein P, as I wrote them to the luthier.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  12. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    "On Klein's product page, his description of this model’s sound is pretty accurate, I think. My take on its sound, as I played it in two passive basses with roundwound strings (heavy ash/maple/maple, and alder/maple/rosewood, respectively):
    • Slow, big, elegant bass into thick, spongy, slightly punchy low midrange
    • No prominent high midrange or low treble glare
    • Articulate, even sibilant, but the treble is distant
    • Tone pot fully open, pick or slap/pop with impunity; it is tactile and articulate, but with no clanging or extrovert treble
    • Roll off the tone pot just halfway for wooly Precision Bass heaven; high notes are sonorous and vocal
    Generalizing, I believe this is a great example of an early plain enamel sound versus that of heavy FormVar, among coil wire types usually used in Fender pickups."​

Pbassmanca likes this.
  13. Pbassmanca

Hi Snaxter thanks for the info. It sounds like an excellent pickup.

14. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    You're quite welcome. If you happen to get both the Klein Epic 1958 and 1959 P pickups to try, please post your impressions of them compared to each other. So that I don't have to. :D

Pbassmanca likes this.
  15. Pbassmanca

Ha ha, just saw this post. Yes I will do that if I get both of them!

Snaxster likes this.
  16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I'd definitely be interested in hearing more as well. Although right now I'm thinking of taking a gamble and trying a set of Q-Tuner Q2.0 jazz pickups. They're actually a sidewinder design in a JB pickup form factor.

I figure I've got my vintage tone needs covered with two PBs (Aguilar AG-4P-60 and a Klein 62 Epic) so I wanted to try something totally different for my JB. I also love sidewinders in general, so the temptation is strong to bite the bullet to the tune of $260 and try them out.

Problem is, I like my JB the way it is right now. Hmm…maybe I need to get another JB purely for for experimenting with…

Yeah! That's it! I'm not buying another bass…I'm conducting research. Like "scientific whaling." Yeah, that's the ticket. :laugh:;)

Isotonic and Pbassmanca like this.
  17. Isotonic

Isotonic

Oct 19, 2011
    Round Rock TX
    WARNING It is addicting. Soon you will be scouring Ebay for bass parts to use for the next set of pickups you are "Trying"

40Hz likes this.
  18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

LOL! Thx for the warning. But I think you're too late. It's already happened to me. I've been looking at bodies and necks both in the classifieds here and on EBay.

Fortunately for me, my music budget for 2016 is pretty much maxed out right now, so that prevents me from doing anything really stupid. :laugh:

Pbassmanca and Isotonic like this.