Kluson machine tuner (parts)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RobbieNuke, Sep 18, 2016.

1. RobbieNuke

RobbieNuke

Jan 22, 2008
    Baltimore
    I have a Kluson machine tuner in need of single-slot screw that keeps the gear attached to the string shaft. It's for a '66 Guild Starfire bass, but I believe the same tuner is used on Gibson/Epiphone basses from the same period. Does not have to be a '66, but a distressed nickel plated part would be fine.

If anyone can suggest a source for locating such parts please let me know.

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Take one of the other screws off of its tuner and head to a hardware store. After matching the screw, find some one with a rock tumbler and have it tumbled for a few minutes. In you position I would even consider replacing all tuner screws so they match if a slotted screw isn't available.

RobbieNuke likes this.
  3. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    The screw is a 12-24 x 3/8" slotted round head machine screw. I work with that series of Klusen tuners all the time, because they are also used on the Ampeg Scroll Basses and Baby Basses. The screws you'll find at the hardware store will be zinc plated. If you buff up the head, it will look pretty close to nickel. I also have some that I've had nickel plated, but they are shiny, not distressed.

RobbieNuke likes this.
  4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    That is such a common screw sized I'd be surprised if you couldn't get them in stainless, don't know which would look closer though.

5. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Yes, you can easily get these screws in stainless too. That's certainly an option. Stainless, buffed up, is a little different in color from buffed nickel. But it may be easier to age and distress the stainless with some kind of mild acid.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022