1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Knee replacement surgery- who's had it?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassteban, Mar 18, 2009.

1. 10 years ago I rode a bicycle head-on into a motorcycle, impacting my left knee & suffering a partially-torn ACL. It's probably at 95% mobility but much weaker than the right. I've considered full replacement; has anyone here had this procedure done?

2. OK, I didn't even peek, but that will totally talk me out of it. I'm squeamish/a wuss. I'm more after actual experiences- you know, healing times, complications, end results. Puns & derision over the original accident are welcome(even encouraged- this is OT, after all :D), but I will not be doing the work myself, not even in(uncle Rico voice on)cyber-space. :)

3. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Srry.

4. 'Squite alright. :)

5. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    I had a full reconstruction of my left knee in 1999 (ti joint, plastic patella, synthetic ligaments). It took me over a year to rehabilitate and my left leg has considerable mobility restrictions, plus, it is noticeably weaker than the right. As well, I tore the ACL in it less than a year later but have simply lived with it, as I'm in no rush to endure a year's worth of rehab again. I've dealt with it by trying to both keep the joint flexible and building up muscle tissue around it. I can't snowboard anymore (original cause of injury), but my basic quality of life isn't impaired. Should you choose replacement surgery, you will possess a rather gnarly set of scars that will alternately fascinate/repulse friends and loved ones. Food for thought.

6. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Is it just the ACL that is torn? If so why would you not just have the ACL reconstructed instead of replacing the whole knee. I had my right ACL reconstructed 8 years ago. Recovery was not terrible but you need to put in the effort with rehab and physio. It took me about 18 months to be able to run and play basketball again, I could have probably done it sooner had i rehabed more aggressively but i was lazy. My surgery was not 100% perfect though, the new ACL is not as tight as it should be so my knee can give out a little easier than normal. I have to always work on the muscles around the knee to compensate for it.

7. Thanks guys for the replies. IIRC the ACL is/was *all* that was damaged, but again- it's been 10 years(my then-9-month old son just turned 10). I would of course discuss at length this w/my doctor, as well as researching here & elsewhere before deciding on anything.

8. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Knee replacement?Hmm never heard of that before.

Now only if there was a "brain replacement" operation available.:D

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nope, mine are bone stock.

But I might be looking to upgrade. What accessories should I purchase?

10. MY Grandfather had both of his replaced in the last few years. The procedure used now is much less invasive and very quick. He was in and out of the hospital ina couple of days. He is in his 80s and was fully recovered in a few months and now walks like nothing ever happened. If you are younger than that I would think you'd have even faster recovery time.

11. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Too much funny! Lawlz!

12. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Based on the description in the OP I doubt you are a candidate for knee replacement, but see what your doctor has to say. If you're at 95% mobility you have nothing to gain in that respect - you might even lose range of motion. I don't know why you would want to do it, unless you have serious pain problems.

13. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland

sorry if ya hadnt figured this is a semi serious thread.. :rolleyes:
    get lost.

Crashed the bike yesterday knee is killing me going straight to the docs to check it out :crying:

14. I have bad knees with reoccurring pain. I will probably have to have some sort of knee surgery in the future, as I am not getting any easier on them. I skateboard, snowboard, play squash (the highest impact sport) and I am a carpenter, not a good combination for already weakened knees.

lowsound

15. Ignore this sentiment. It doesn't hurt anymore(except when I act like I'm still in my 30s :atoz:), so please have fun at my expense. :) flea c, I do sympathize w/your injury, mind you. Do get to a doctor.

Ericman, I tend to agree it's not for me- I doubt it would be any better after all is said & done. Just basically wishing aloud that I could pound a single-speed up hills like many moons ago...

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Thank you bassteban. I've always figured a little humor never hurt anyone.

17. dkurth65

dkurth65

Jan 26, 2009
    Marshalltown IA.
    I need to have my left knee replaced but the doctor told me it would be best to wait, if at all possible, until I'm closer to 50 (I'm 43) to have it done because the glue that is used only holds on average for 15 years. My ACL is torn completely and one that runs on the outside , can't remember what it is called, is partially torn. and my knee joint is worn flat, original injury happened when I was 11. I have been fitted with a leg brace, but seldom wear it, it is very uncomfortable. So I just indure the pain. I probably couldn't afford the time off work I would need to heal anyway.

18. Absolutely- expecting anything less on TB can lead to pain, misery & the heartbreak of psoriasis.:atoz:/:D I'm always amazed at threads soliciting fully-serious advice in OT.

More on-topic, I think I'll skip it for now, & possibly research knee braces. An enduro-racing TBer friend of mine runs a dead-sexy black one when he rides...

19. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    My right knee is in rough shape, but my doctor said I'm not a candidate for replacement until I'm closer to 60. So I've got 15 years to go.

I asked him while I wait if he could just screw a grease fitting in my knee so I could lube it up occasionally to provide some relief.