*kneels* Sheldon Dingwall is my hero!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ivanthetrble, Apr 26, 2004.

1. ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    For those who may have missed it, I dropped my Dingwall Prima 5 string on the cement floor of my garage a while back. It took a pretty good hit to the body by the input jack and cracked the quilt top from the input jack to the bridge. Needless to say I was crushed! I had only had my bass for about 6 months. I e-mailed Sheldon the next morning (on a Saturday) with some pics of the damage and I had a response in less than an hour, ON A SATURDAY MORNING no less! I sent my bass back and Sheldon got the crack fixed nicely. You can seen the crack thru the top in his picture Sheldon took after he had it glued back together.

Here is a pic of the top after gluing.

We also talked about the option of refinishing the body to make the crack less visible. We also talked about some additional eye candy (wood knobs and wood covered FD-3 pickups). Well, guess what showed up at the office today? It is beautiful! :hyper:

The latest pics with pao ferro knobs and new FD-3 pickups. Can't wait to get it home and plug it in.

A MILLION THANKS TO SHELDON DINGWALL! He has been the greatest to work with!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

2. munkyboy

Feb 1, 2004
    mmmmmmmmmmyummy! Those knobs look like european chocolates :D

That's one of the nicest tops ive seen. I really like the wood pickups. What did you have in it before, Barts? How do the new ones compare?
  3. ITT:
    Freakin Awesome.......
    Sheldon has healed thyne bass. Looks better than ever and I love the old Prima shape-cello hip all all. Does it still sound as amazing as it looks?
    I personally like the look of black pickup covers contrasting on the wood top, but those wood p'up cover looks great, and munkys right...those dial knobs look like tastey choc-o-lates...yummy.
    did you invest in ice cleetes for your shoes and a sturdier gig bag, like an INCASE tourbag for the bass? :spit:
  4. ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002

Previous pickups were Dingwall FD-1. The FD-3 sound a bit more throaty. Really nice finger and slap tones.
  5. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    So very much better than the 'before' pics... :D

6. Wow, Ivan. It looks fantastic once again! :) :bassist:
  7. Yep, I'd have to say he's my hero too. I'm also happy to say that I'm moving to to Saskatoon next year where Dingwall is located. Unfortunately this may be hard on my wallet.

Beautiful bass! I really like the look of the pau ferro pickup covers. Awesome!!

8. ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Geoff, have you head the new FD-3 pickups yet?
  9. Ivan (Rick):
    Did you notice a huge difference in tone switching from the FD1s to the FD3? I know you say they sound more throaty to you (which is how i describe the FD1s -gobs of mids,w/ a growly, almost zingy character.
    From listening to Sheldons post of FD3s (http://www.dingwallguitars.com/FD3/), it sounds like they FD3 are darker, but also very modern sounding- i know he recorded them on an epoxy-coated fretless AB-like mine.
    Does your neck FD3 sound that much different than the old FD1 in the neck position. I guess I'm wondering do these pickups sound more modern or more vintage?
    i know its all subjective
    thank anyway
  10. ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Might have to give me a little more time with it to answer. Played it for about an hour last night and have gigs this weekend. At this point I would say the sound more modern in a vintage sort of way. :meh: j/k! I think the slap tone sounds a bit more even and smooth but it has been 4 months since I played the FD-1s so it is kind of hard to say for sure. I will be interested to see how the FD-3s sit in the mix this weekend.
  11. I have heard them, but haven't had a chance to play a bass with one. Once I am in Saskatoon, I'll take the Prima out there with the FD-1s and compare them with the FD-3s to see which I like better. Either way, I can't wait.

12. ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Sheldon shipped my bass back to me in a brand new SKB hardshell case. I might still spring for an INCASE tourbag though. I have heard they are very nicely padded.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Very Nice, it is allways great when you get a builder who will really try to help you when you get into mishapps with your bass.
  14. ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Boy you got that right. Basses like the Dingwalls cost a bit more but it sure was nice to have the person who built it there to fix my goofs! ;) I have had it back for a couple of days now and the more I play it the more I remember why I liked it so much. :D

Roger Sadowsky is another name that comes to mind for top of the line customer service.

How do you like the lightwave set up ?.
  17. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    .....a level of service to aspire to.

I'm glad you got her back - maybe I'll get to see this one some day. She's a legend now. :)
  18. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Hijacking thread for just a sec, I hope Sheldon gets back to me soon - I just bought an Afterburner from Gard/BC and it arrived with the bluEQube switch snapped off =0( So a new switch should be all I need, and it sounds like Sheldon will fix me up right.

Also: Owners, clue me in, is the switch supposed to be firm to flip? I can flip the remaining nub with my fingertip, but it feels very easy/loose going back and forth between the two positions.

BTW, this transparent black burst is AWESOME in person, the BC photos don't hint at the depth and color in it, the flame figure of the top is almost purple-tinted at some angles.
  19. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Another hi-jack sort of question, but Dingwall related. So here goes:

What are the differences between the afterburner's the Prima and the Z series Dingwalls? Your Prima is Drop Dead gorgeous by the way! WOW! Breathtaking top!
  20. ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    I think I can field this one. The Prima is their top-o-the-line active bass with two Dingwall soapbar type pickups. The Z series is similiar in construction but they have two pickups placed very close together so they act a bit like a big humbucker in the sweet spot. The Z may be a bit better of a slapping bass due to pickup placement and more finger space. The Afterburners are passive basses but they are more affordable than the Z or Prima basses.