Knilling any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by slam, Dec 6, 2002.

1. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    I did a search but found no info about Knilling basses. I have a chance to get a Knilling Bass for a very good price and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. This would be my first upright bass. It is brand new and I have played it and it seems pretty good.

2. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    I think this is the model. Information from Knilling's web site.

Bucharest Laminated ::

Sturdy construction throughout, including laminated spruce top and laminated maple back and sides, with inlaid purfling. Ebony nut and fingerboard, chrome plated Tyrolean machine heads. Complete Knilling shop adjustment includes German maple bridge and Super Sensitive Red Label strings.
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I played a Knilling carved bass at the Aebersold camps that sounded great. That may mean nothing to your quest as you are looking at a plywood model, but I just thought I'd throw the info out there. The model name of the bass was "Secondo", and it was made in the Czech Repulic. Anybody else ever seen these?
  4. I owned a Knilling about 5 years ago. It was a 70's carved. Very nice bass. When I inquired about it, I was told it was to be considered a nice student bass. I've since learned that Knilling is just a label owned by Kansas City Strings (I think) and the actual manufacturer could be any one of the nameless "factories" out there. I believe this one was Romanian though.