1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Knilling Bucharest 1308T early 90ies bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Jerry Spinelli, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Hi,

I'm trying to find out more about a Knilling Bucharest 1308T.

This post
    Knilling 1308T 3/4 Upright Bass
    says it's fully carved,
    while these
    Knilling Upright Bass
    3/4 upright bass- Knilling Bucharest
    Knilling Bucharest 1308T upright bass

say it's a hybrid.

Also, it's not clear what the T stands for, the 1308 on the Knilling website is reported as fully carved and looks a little different.

Finally, the 4 craigslist post above seem to sell the same bass for a price ranging from $975 to $1800. What's a "reasonable" price for these instruments?

Any insight is appreciated!

Thanks!

Jerry

2. It's a Hora, made in the former Soviet state factory in Reghin, Romania. There must be tens of thousands of them out there.

They're hardy, overbuilt solid wood basses. I've seen them priced as low as $800. $1500? No way.

3. MikeDavis81

MikeDavis81

May 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    It’s what I play on and I like it. Range Mr. Sheriff suggests seems fair though I paid closer to 1500 than 800, but mine was particularly well cared for and had new fingerboard installed before I got it.

I inquired at Knilling for some more info about the basses and they provided me with some materials. If you pm me your email, I’d be happy to forward you what they sent me.