knob problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Uncle_Sam, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Uncle_Sam

Jan 27, 2006
    Well here goes the story. The other day i was playing my silvertone(which is around a year old) and i notice the plastic under my volume and tone knob from when i first got my bass, becuase their was plastic wrapping on the pickgaurd when i first got it. I was annoyed by the small plastic shreds coming out of the knobs, that i couldnt get because it was to small to pull off. So i decided to take the knobs off to take off the plastic. Well when i took the knobs off and pulled out the remaining plastic, I couldnt get the knobs to go back into place. I tryed to screw them in, and i tryed to push them in, but neither worked. And with my luck, yesterday we had a band practice so i had to use my friends old guitar, and let me tell you that it didnt work to well.....So i was wondering if anyone could tell me how i put this knobs back in. I have pictures to show what i am working with..

This is a close up of one of the knobs

Another knob picture

Im sorry about the enlargment of the secound picture, i was working for about a hour to make it smaller, but that was the smallest i could get it. If you need more pictures i can try to resize them. And the pictures arn't that great either :)

Thanks for your help!
  2. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Looks like you might've pulled the post out of the pot...if that's the case you'll most likely have to have a new pot installed to replace the old one.

Look at the knob, and see if there's a small hole on one of the sides with a tiny allen screw inside. If so, that should've been loosened before trying to pull the knob off.