1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Knob settings and amp suggestions for Ibanez TMB 100 4 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GOOD_TIMES, Dec 30, 2017.

1. GOOD_TIMES

GOOD_TIMES

Dec 30, 2017
    Hey all.

I'm a semi new bass player who just bought an Ibanez TMB 100. I'm trying to get the best sound and I'm struggling to get what I've heard people play using this bass. I currently have a Crate BX 50 amp but the new bass isn't sounding great on it.

Any recommendations of a bass amp (less than $300) that would sound good with this bass? I want something that will sound good when using the J and/or P pick ups. I'd also love feedback on the best settings for the tone knobs.

Thanks!

2. GOOD_TIMES

GOOD_TIMES

Dec 30, 2017
    Also, string suggestions would be great as well.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    What is your intended use for your new amp?

Has your new bass been set-up?

What type of music do you play?

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass!!!!

Here's what I suggest. Forget whatever settings you have used in the past on your amp. Go back to flat and go from there.

Start with both pickups on and the tone knob about 80-90% on. That will give you sort of a "sccoped" sound that many bassists prefer as their "bedroom tone".

Once you get the amp back to flat (nothing boosted or cut) and both pickups on, go from there. If you need more bass, dial it in on the amp.

If that doesn't work, come back to us and we'll be glad to help.

Stumbo likes this.
  5. GOOD_TIMES

GOOD_TIMES

Dec 30, 2017
    Amp for practice at home and maybe some jamming with friends.

What do you mean "set up"?

I play every thing from rock to jazz.

6. GOOD_TIMES

GOOD_TIMES

Dec 30, 2017
    Awesome! I'll do that tomorrow. Thanks

7. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    EQ settings on the amp, amount of blend between pickups and tone on the bass (knob settings), is a highly subjective and situational matter.

So is choice of amp and strings.

But if you are anything like me I would go for both pickups full on and tone all the way up and a set of gauge .100-.040 nickle wound rounds.

Personally I use gauge .105-.045, but that is because I play a short scale 28,6" bass where string tension is much less than that of a regular 34" scale bass, which I assume is what you got.

As for brand I use Ernie Ball, but D'Addario will be fine as well, just steer clear of really cheap string brands as they are sometimes prone to slightly inconsistent tone and quite often feels rougher on the fingers.

Crate amps as far as I know are generally pretty crappy, which might be your problem, also 50W is far too little if you plan on joining a band at some point, I'd say 200W and above and you'll be good, and would even be able to play up minor venues, like for instance small bars, without PA support.

I know a lot of people wouldn't agree with me on the 200W and claim that you would need even more, but that's just like their opinion, man.

Personally I actually like the tone of this cheap budget amp quite a lot (yes, the guy demoing it speaks Rusian, I assume, but it's a great demo and the only decent one on YouTube of this amp, and it got English subtittles):

As the video tittle says the amp is a KUSTOM KXB100, which is 100W, but it also comes in a 200W version called, surprise, surprise, KUSTOM KXB200.

As I said, I really like the kind of nasty aggressive punchy and biting in your face tone of this amp, though you might find it too rough.

In case you do find the Kustom amp too rough sounding to your liking, and if you got a bit more more money to spend, I can't recommend the old, pre Gibson and Peavy, Trace Elliot amps enough, like the SM, SMX and Series 6 models.

They can usually be found for quite reasonable prices used, and in my opinion they sound no less than amazing.

Also they are conservatively rated, which means that they are capable of playing far louder than the Watts they are rated at.

Might add too that they are almost as heavy as solid lead, but in return they are really sturdy and solid build, can handle some sonic abuse, and you shouldn't need worrying too much about the amp failing, despite the fact that the models I mentioned were produced back around the beginning of the 90's.

Personally I play a Trace Elliot GP75SM combo with a 15" build in, which is rated 130W, though I bi-amp it with an old 50W Dynacord Bass-King all tube amp, also with a 15" cab, and I have no problems with being heard or hearing myself in a quite loud playing band, even if the master volume of my Trace Elliot is not even half way up and the volume knob of the Dynacord is just about halfway up.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  8. GOOD_TIMES

GOOD_TIMES

Dec 30, 2017
    So much great info! Thanks all!