1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Knobs are falling out

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by spinabifida, Mar 28, 2009.

1. spinabifida

spinabifida

Mar 28, 2009
    I changed my P-bass pickguard, so I had to remove knobs, but they came out with a metal stick (on the pictures of knobs I saw neither of them had a metal stick below it, just a hole) and they're falling out if I'm putting them back. I was just wondering do these metal sticks have to come out or not and if not, then how could I get them back there?

I didn't find another topic about it thought there might be and I'm sorry for mistakes as I'm not a native English speaker.

Thank you.

---

My dad and brother did something weird and they put the shaft back somehow, I didn't have to change the pots, I'd like to thank everyone who teached me a bit about the bass.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Could they be the shafts from the potentiometers? How hard did you pull on the knobs to remove them?

3. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    yikes! yeah, sounds like OP pulled the pot shafts off when he removed the knobs. Can you post a picture so we can confirm?

4. spinabifida

spinabifida

Mar 28, 2009
    http://i41.tinypic.com/iw6o08.jpg

Well I put a knife under it and then raised it a bit and then it came out.

Sorry for the bad quality as my camera isn't working so I had to use webcam.

5. You didn't loosen the set screws on the knobs? It looks like you pulled the shafts out of the pots. :eek: On the plus side, pots are cheap. If you know someone with soldering skills, it shouldn't cost a whole lot to replace them.

6. spinabifida

spinabifida

Mar 28, 2009
    I later realized I have to do it. Do they sell pots with these metal sticks? Can I just loosen the screws, take out that metal piece and put it back so it doesn't go out?

7. The "metal stick" is part of the pot. It's called the shaft. It's not supposed to come out of the pot. You're going to need new pots. You should be able to reuse your old knobs.

I would recommend you find someone with mechanical skills to help you, or pay a guitar tech for the repair.

8. spinabifida

spinabifida

Mar 28, 2009
    http://www.pillipood.ee/images/prodbilder/SM-6381.jpg <-- this is pot, right? I'm not sure about the part names. How should I connect them (I think in the whole country in Estonia we have about 2 guitar technicans and their prices are high so I think if someone could give me a picture orsmt how to connect them would be much cheaper to me).

9. Yes, that's a pot. "Pot" is short for "potentiometer". If you flip your pickguard over, you'll see that the pots are soldered to the wiring. Here's a pic from Bayou Cables' site of a standard P-Bass wiring harness.
    pb.

10. spinabifida

spinabifida

Mar 28, 2009
    Thank you! I think I'll collect money for some time and let a professional do it, I'm just afraid I can't do it by myself and I don't want to ruin it even though it's just a cheap Squier. Or do you think that a 14 years old girl could do it?

11. If you have never soldered and don't have the tools, you would probably be better off to find someone to help. Maybe if you ask around, you'll find a friend with a soldering iron and the skill to do the job. You don't necessarily need to find a guitar technician. Maybe an electronics repairman, auto mechanic, etc. could help. Soldering is used for a wide variety of applications. If I was in Estonia, I'd do it for you! :) Good luck!

12. spinabifida

spinabifida

Mar 28, 2009
    Can an IT techican do that work? I don't have many friends and none of them plays bass or guitar, they're just excited about all that nonsense you can see in MTV nowadays. Do these pots come with wires or not (just curious how the wires are connected to it)? I haven't done such things before, exept connecting lamp wires but that's it.

I'm a curious person, I'm sorry if that bothers you but in Estonian forums anyone starts whining about why you are so stupid etc. so I'm forced to look help somewhere else.

13. Probably, if he's a hardware tech.
    No, but you can use your old wiring. The wires are soldered to the components, and they can be desoldered.
    No bother at all! I'm just happy to help. :)

14. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm going to move this to the Pickups and Electronics forum. There are many here that can help walk you through the repair if you want to do it yourself.