Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

knobs falling off!!???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by anubis101, Nov 24, 2000.

1. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    for some reason my knobs have taken it upon themselves to
    keep falling of...well only two of them but its driving
    me insane....how do i fix it?

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    The pot shaft should have a split. Widen this gap, with a screwdriver GENTLY!!!!

If it doesnt tough sorry etc.

3. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    either look at the bottem of the knob and "tighten" the "device" that holds it on (ie hex screw, tension tab, split ring), use a dab of glue from a hot glue gun, or buy new knobs.

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    anubis101

I can only think of three shaft configurations. Split shaft, knurled and flat shaft. The advice already given for the split shaft variety works very well. The other two can usually be tightened up by shimming the shaft with paper. This is an effective although sometimes temporary cure. Unless the knob has a setscrew which is self explanatory, you probably should go ahead and order new knobs.

I would be very hesitant to use any kind of glue. I have had to destroy pots because the glue held too well, preventing knob removal later. YMMV

Pkr2

[Edited by pkr2 on 11-24-2000 at 06:24 PM]

5. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    i agree, that for the most part, glue is a bad idea. this is why i suggest "from a hot glue gun". it has been my experience that the use of rubber cement types of glue on non-porous materials results in them "sticking", but not permanently bonding. if in doubt, find similiar substances, and do a test.

but, i have to concur; if adjusting the knobs holding mechanism doesn't work, then the best thing would be to buy new knobs.

6. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Pierce, I Would be more concerned with setting up a vacuum lock by sealing the shaft into the shaft cavity than I would with the adhesion of the glue.

I once had the "brilliant ?" idea of coating the shaft with vaseline as a release agent. I then used body filler to Build up the worn out knurl in the knob. Good plan but the knob was stuck until I drilled a hole in the center of the knob to break the vacuum. The knob then came right off.

YMMV of course :)

[Edited by pkr2 on 11-25-2000 at 09:26 AM]

7. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    good point. i hadn't thought about a vacuum problem. actually, i didn't realize there would be a vacuum held.

btw, excuse my cyber-ignorance, but what the hell does ymmv mean?:)

8. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Pierce, Your Mileage May Vary. :)

Pkr2

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    On a knurled, split shaft a toothpick or other material can be wedged (gently) into the split, providing a more permanent fix than just spreading it.

On a non-split knurled shaft I've had very long term success with putting just the right amount of paper (trial and error) on top of the shaft and pressing the knob on.

10. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Good idea on the toothpick thing, Brad. An old dog really can learn a new trick.:)

The paper thing is what I usually do. One note of caution though. If you force the knob onto the shaft too hard, it's possible to push the back shell of the pot right off. If this happens the pot can be reassembled but it's aggravating when it happens.

Thanks for the input.

Pkr2

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's a very good point, pkr2. Do not push too hard.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, excellent point about not pushing too hard.

Happened to me one time, spent $175 on a new EMG PJ set and preamp, tried to force a knob on to a shaft that was too large for it, pushed the damned pot right out of the casing. Had a persistent crackle that I could never get rid of before the bass finally got stolen.

13. bassics

bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    duct tape!!!!!!ha, ha, ha.