1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Knobs keep falling off

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Kügel, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Kügel

Kügel

Nov 2, 2006
    Belgium
    Hey TB,

I own a 2007 Fender MiM Jazz bass which I've enjoyed playing for years. However, during the years all three knobs have fallen off. The last few years I've been playing a Bacchus Woodline Ash and here I've had the tone knob fall off...

All the poles are still connected and work perfectly but it's rather unhandy.

I'm assuming this isn't normal. Does anyone else have any experience with this? I'm going to order replacement knobs soon, if anyone has tips on attaching them you're more than welcome to share.

2. A little piece of cardboard slid into the knob cavity should do the trick or if there split shafts, gently spread them apart just a bit.

3. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Stuff some paper between the shaft of the pot and the walls of the knobs. The only other solution I can think of is to upgrade the pots to USA style ones with solid shafts and use set screw type knobs. (probably due for it anyways if the knobs see a lot of use)

Don't try to spread the split open. You'll most likely just break the shaft and have to replace the pot anyways.

4. You can fill the slots with hard plastic cut to fit and then use knobs with set screws.

5. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    a 2007 MIM Standard should have solid shaft pots, not split shafts, and knobs with set screws .. make sure the set screw is on a flat spot if there is one on the shaft, and if not, you can file the slightest little indentation on the shaft where it will sit ... or, just keep a small hexdriver in the case and tighten every now and then when I am checking others screws on the bass ...

6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    ^This

If your MIM does not have solid shaft pots, you can get a solid sleeve kit that has a metal insert to fill the slot and a metal sleeve to slip over the split so solid shaft (locking) knobs will work.

7. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    I've never seen a solid sleeve kit?

8. I thought this thread was going to be about Range Rovers.

9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Here you go. I've got a couple I bought back when I was experimenting with different control configs for my jazz bass. Some pots are only available as split shaft so I bought a few kits just in case and didn't use them all. They are handy to have when you need a pot right now and all you can get is a split shaft. You may need to do a little minor fitting to avoid jamming the collar into the knob. It took me abt 5 minutes with a little rat tail to knock down the burs and get them working like a regular sold shaft

http://www.stellartone.com/Page.asp?NavID=290

10. Kügel

Kügel

Nov 2, 2006
    Belgium
    Thanks for the help everyone.

They're solid shaft pots indeed, too bad there weren't any set screws in the package when I ordered the knobs... I'm going to try and find some and see how it goes.

11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Hit up your local tech, they usually can provide you with little parts and pieces (usually free of charge)

12. DannyBob

DannyBob

Aug 28, 2013
    UK
    Best title ever. Had me laughing lol