Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Knobs & Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by greenthrust, Nov 19, 2001.

1. greenthrust

greenthrust

Nov 19, 2001
    Western. NY
    I'm a beginner (that will become obvious). I've have a Fender Prodigy with active electronics, and I have a couple questions. It has four knobs, which one does what? It has two pairs of knobs, each pair is a large knob with a small one inside it. The small knob in the pair closest to the neck is the volume. The others are treble, bass, and balance between the two pickups. I'm not positive which is which. The little universal manual I got with the instrument is not much help. Also it has two pickups, a P-bass & a J-bass, which is which?
    Thanks in advance

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Well hello Greenthrust, welcome to the wonderful world of bass, and welcome to this forum! :)

Not familiar with your particular bass, but I'll try to help.

The bigger, split pickup closer to the neck is the P (P-bass, Precision) pickup, other narrower by the bridge is the J (J-bass, Jazz) pickup. "P" & "J" really only tells the shapes of the pickups - their kinds first appeared on Fender Jazz and Precision basses, hence their names.

You've found the balance knob if it fully turned one way gives a bassy thump-kind of sound (P pickup), and a more nasal sound (J pickup) the turned fully the other way.

The bass and treble knob increases bass and treble content in your tone, you should be able to figure which is which! First turn one of them to the extreme, play some bass and listen, and then turn the knob to the other extreme. If you don't hear a clear difference, something is wrong. ;)

3. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I think this is better suited to Setup...........

Chris A.:rolleyes:

4. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Sounds like a decent first bass.. You should be able to get a lot of different tones.. Play around a bit, find what you like, practice and rock out! ;) Good luck!

5. Hey welcome to Setup and Talkbass. I guess you didn't get a chance to read the thread at the top of this Forum cause you posted in General Instruction. Not to worry, well my friend this thread is moving house again i'm afraid.

Off to pickups.

:D:D

Merls

6. greenthrust

greenthrust

Nov 19, 2001
    Western. NY
    Thanks for all the replies. After fooling around a bit, it seems like the larger knob behind the volume knob is for the pickup-balance. Turning it clockwise makes a more nasal sound. The other two knobs are treble boost and bass boost, with the smaller knob being treble.

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Great, you sorted it out! Now play the living hell out of it! :D